The application process is the same for the BCMB Ph.D. and M.S. programs. Students with a bachelor's degree may apply to either the M.S. or Ph.D. program, however students with limited research experience should consider the M.S. program first. Applicants' prior research experience (if any) should be discussed in detail the statement of purpose.
Deadline for application materials
Preference will be given to applications received by February 1 in order to be considered for admission into the program the following fall semester. However, the BCMB programs do offer rolling admissions and applications will be considered at any time.
How to apply
Contact a faculty member
Complete application forms and required materials
- First, contact a faculty member with whom you are interested in working. In order to be accepted into the program, your application must be sponsored by a participating faculty member who is willing to take you into his or her research program.
- The online application process can be completed at the CMU College of Graduate Studies website. All of the following materials must be submitted:
- CMU graduate application
- Official transcripts for any Bachelor's degrees
- Major GPA Calculation Form
- GRE (general test only). Arrange to have scores sent to CMU (Institution Code: 1106; Department Code: 0203). MCAT or similar tests for admission to professional school may substitute for the GRE
- A statement of purpose describing your interest in the BCMB program, the faculty mentor you intend to work with, and your prior research experiences (if any) and how they will contribute to your future success
- International students must provide evidence of English proficiency (CMU institutional code is 1106)
In addition, three (3) letters of recommendation must be emailed directly to
Begin the application process
Click here to start the application process for the CMU BCMB programs.
Only applications with all required documents and forms completed will be reviewed. The College of Graduate Studies will first confirm that your application meets the basic standards for graduate admission before your materials are forwarded to the BCMB program office. Once received, the BCMB program office will coordinate evaluation of all completed applications by the BCMB admissions committee.
Letters of acceptance
For applications received by February 1, letters recommending admission will be sent by March 15 each year. The deadline for accepting offers of admission is April 15. For applications received at other times of the year, the review process will be completed as promptly as possible.
If you have any questions about the program or the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.