The series of eight lessons in the MEECS Air Quality Unit have been developed to answer eight key questions:
- What is in the air?
- Why should we be concerned about air quality?
- What are the sources of air pollution?
- How can we measure air quality?
- How can we tell what the quality of the air is today?
- What has been done about air pollution?
- What can we do about air pollution?
- How can our action impact the world?
The lessons in the unit consist of a core set of activities with enhancements and extensions focusing primarily on outdoor air quality. There are a variety of activities for the classroom, computer laboratory, and the outdoors. The activities are aligned to the Michigan Grade Level Content Expectations in Science and Social Studies. Environmental education principles are also addressed.