- B.S., Goshen College, 1985
- Ph.D., University of California - Davis, 1993
- Postdoc, Duke University, 1993-1998
Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, Microscopy, History of Biology
Developmental Biology, Aquaculture
Current Research Projects
My lab is interested in understanding how marine shrimp develop from the egg through the larval stages. We work with several shrimp species including the Ridgeback prawn Sicyonia ingentis, the Pacific white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei, and the Japanese tiger prawn Marsupenaeus japonicus, obtained from southern California, Hawaii and Australia. We use a combination of molecular biology, microscopy and embryo manipulation to study the development of the germ line and muscle. One current focus of our lab is to identify the primordial germ line in embryos and larvae, and study the role of a large, RNA-positive granule in germ line specification. We have cloned several genes involved in germ line specification (e.g., vasa, nanos, pumilio) and are investigating their expression pattern and function in marine shrimp. Our research is funded by CSIRO, Australia.
- Grattan, R.M.*, McCulloch, R.M., Sellars, M.J., and Hertzler, P.L. (2012). Ultrastructure of putative germ granules in penaeid shrimp embryos. (Submitted to Arthropod Structure & Development).
- Sellars, M.J., Arce, S.M., and Hertzler, P.L. (2012). Triploidy induction in the Pacific White Shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei using 6-demethylaminopurine chemical and cold temperature shock induction agents: an assessment of induction parameters, embryo viability and early larval survival. (In press, Marine Biotechnology).
- Pawlak, J.B.*, Wood, A., Sellars, M.J., and Hertzler, P.L. (2010). Cleavage and gastrulation in the Kuruma shrimp Penaeus (Marsupenaeus) japonicus (Bate): a revised cell lineage and identification of a presumptive germ cell marker. Development, Growth & Differentiation 52: 677-692.
- Walton, K.D., Warner, J., Hertzler, P.L. and McClay, D.R. (2009). Hedgehog signaling patterns mesoderm in the sea urchin. Developmental Biology 331: 26-37.
- Hertzler, P.L. and Freas, W.R.* (2009). Pleonal muscle development in the shrimp Penaeus (Litopenaeus) vannamei (Crustacea: Malacostraca: Decapoda: Dendrobranchiata). Arthropod Structure & Development 38: 235-246.
- Wang, S.W., Hertzler, P.L. and Clark, W.H., Jr. (2008). Mesendoderm cells induce oriented cell division and invagination in the marine shrimp Sicyonia ingentis. Developmental Biology 320: 175-184.
- Kiernan, D.* and Hertzler, P.L. (2006). Muscle development in dendrobranchiate shrimp, with comparison with Artemia. Evolution & Development 8(6): 537-549.
- Hertzler, P.L. (2005). Cleavage and gastrulation in the shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei (Malacostraca, Decapoda, Dendrobranchiata). Arthopod Sturcture & Development 34: 455-469.
- Hertzler, P.L. (2005). Timing of meiotic maturation and first mitosis in the Pacific white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 36: 570-576.
- Hertzler, P.L. (2002). Development of the mesendoderm in the dendrobranchiate shrimp Sicyonia ingentis. Arthropod Structure & Development 31: 33-49.
- Hertzler, P.L. (2002). Twin meiosis 2 spindles form after suppression of polar body 1 formation in oocytes of the marine shrimp Sicyonia ingentis. Biological Bulletin 202: 100-103.
*Graduate student; #Undergraduate