Brooks Hall 180 (Office)
Brooks Hall 205 (Laboratory)
CMC Herbarium Web Page
- B.S., University of Notre Dame, 1992
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, 2003
- Postdoc, Michigan State University, 2004-2005
General Botany, Plant Systematics, Wetland Plants, Scanning Electron microscopy
Plant Systematics and Evolution
Current Research Projects
As a plant systematist, I am interested in the origin, pattern, and maintenance of diversity in flowering plants. My lab investigates biodiversity and evolution at different hierarchical scales, from the micro- to macroscopic level, and uses a range of analytical and molecular techniques. Research in my lab spans several disciplines, including methodologies from molecular evolution, systematics, taxonomy, microscopy, population genetics, and ecology.
I have active research on evolution and species identification in the bulrushes (
Schoenoplectiella; Cyperaceae). I have begun preliminary research (molecular and morphological) to elucidate relationships within each genus, focusing on their North American members. Future research plans include a global treatment of both genera. Research is currently being conducted in my lab to describe pollen grain diversity across the Brassicaceae. Trends in pollen evolution will be examined relative to recent advances in phylogenetic reconstruction and tribal classifications within the family. Pollen morphological data from scanning electron and light microscopy will be used to examine pollen evolutionary patterns and correlated floral evolution across the Brassicaceae.
- Monfils, A. K., R. E. Triemer and E. Bellairs*. In-press. Characterization of Paramylon Morphological Diversity in Photosynthetic Euglenoids (Euglenales, Euglenaphyta).
- Monfils, A. K. and L. A. Prather. In-press. Phylogeny of
Cantua (Polemoniaceae subfamily Cobaeoideae): Evidence from Chloroplast and Nuclear DNA Sequence Data.
- Monfils, A. K. and L. A. Prather. 2007.
Pedicularis aurantiaca and
Pedicularis densiflora (Orobanchaceae): Taxonomy, Phenology and Floral Morphological Variation.
Madroño 54 (4): 306-321.
- Triemer, R. E., E. W. Linton, W. Shin, M. A. Nudelman, A. K. Monfils, M. S. Bennett and S. Brosnan. 2006. Phylogeny of the Euglenales Based upon SSU and LSU rDNA Sequence Comparisons and Description of
Discoplastis gen. nov. (Euglenophyta).
Journal of Phycology 42 (3):731-740.
- Monfils, A. K. and L. A. Prather. 2004. The Conserved Nature and Taxonomic Utility of Pollen Morphology in
- Prather, L. A., A. K. Monfils, A. L. Posto, and R. A. Williams. 2002. Monophyly and Phylogeny of
Monarda (Lamiaceae): Evidence from the Internal Transcribed Spacer (ITS) Region of Nuclear Ribosomal DNA.
Systematic Botany 27:127-137.