Brooks Hall 228
Personal Web Page
- B.S., Sofia University, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1994
- Ph.D., Rutgers University, 2001
- Postdoctoral Position, Cook College, Rutgers University, 2001-2002
- Postdoctoral Position, Purdue University, 2002-2006
Introductory Biology, Introduction to Microbiology, Soil Science, Bacterial Diversity, Global Change Biology
Current Research Projects
I am interested in the the structure of microbial communities, how they are shaped by a variety of biotic and abiotic factors and how they are related to microbial community functions. My applied research program has been in these areas:
- Microbial community in the rhizosphere of invasive plant species
- Interactions between microbial communities and toxic metals
- Microbial diversity in the gut of wild ruminants
- Microbial diversity in the pitchers of the Northern pitcher plant (
- Isolating previously uncultured bacteria
- Zlamal, J. and Kourtev, P.S. (2008). Impact of the invasive plant autumn olive (
Elaeagnus umbellata) on soil microbial communities.
- Weaver, M. and Kourtev, P.S. (2008). Characterization of the bacterial community in the pitchers of the northern pitcher plant (
Sarracenia purpurea) using PCR-DGGE.
- Kourtev, P.S., Konopka, A. and Nakatsu, C.H. (2008) Inhibition of nitrate reduction by Cr(VI) in soil microcosms.
Appl. Environ. Microbiol.
- Hill, K.A., Shepson, P.B., Galbavy, E.S., Anastasio, C., Kourtev, P.S., Konopka, A. and Stirm, B.H. (2007). Processing of atmospheric nitrogen by clouds above a forest environment.
J. Geophys. Res-Atmos., 112: D11301.
- Kourtev, P.S., Konopka, A. and Nakatsu, C.H. (2006). Responses of the anaerobic bacterial community to the addition of organic C in chromium(VI)- and iron(III)-amended microcosms
Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 72: 628-637.