Skip navigation

Graduate Assistantships

​​As a graduate student, you'll have opportunities to apply for financial assistance through graduate teaching and research assistantships and fellowships offered within the CMU Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry as well as the College of Science and Technology and the College of Graduate Studies

In addition to providing financial assistance to help you complete your degree, graduate assistantships and fellowships offer opportunities to develop and enhance your career-related skills.

Graduate teaching and research assistantships

The CMU Department of Chemistry and biochemistry has graduate teaching assistantships available for students in the M.S. and M.A. programs.

Graduate teaching assistantships (GTAs) and graduate research assistantships (GRAs) are service-related appointments that require teaching or research, respectively. Through an assistantship, you'll receive a stipend, resident (Michigan) tuition rates, a tuition waiver, travel accident insurance and special library privileges. A full-time assistantship during the fall and spring semesters requires approximately 20 hours of work per week; a half-time assistantship requires approximately 10 hours of work per week.


GTAs receive the following compensation package:

  • A competitive academic year stipend
  • 20 credit hours of tuition waiver for the academic year (unused hours may be used in the summer). Typical graduate students use 15-17 credits per year.
  • Out-of-state tuition waiver
  • A summer stipend

Re-appointment policy

Graduate teaching assistantships are awarded for one year. Assistantships awarded to students in a master's degree program are renewable for one additional year. Graduate assistants enrolled in a master's program requesting an assistantship beyond two years must compete with new applicants for such awards.


Assistantships are awarded on a competitive basis. All applicants to the chemistry graduate programs are automatically considered for teaching and research assistantships. Part-time students are not eligible. Applications for admission to the graduate programs in chemistry are available through the College of Graduate Studies.

In addition to the standard College of Graduate Studies admission requirements, you must submit scores for the General GRE. Also, you must arrange for 2-3 persons familiar with your academic abilities and suitability as a graduate student and teaching assistant to send letters of recommendation to the Graduate College. Letters of support may also be emailed directly to

To receive full consideration for financial support beginning in a fall semester, all application materials must be received no later than February 1.

  • For more information, please contact the program coordinator:

    Mary Tecklenburg
    Department of Chemistry 
    Central Michigan University
    Dow Science Complex 353 
    Mount Pleasant, MI 48859

    (989) 774-3078

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Website Feedback | Desktop View