Associate Professor and Department Chair
Brooks Hall 326
Personal Web Page
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Science, University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1997
- B.S., Meteorology, University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1989
- American Meteorological Society
- National Weather Association
- American Association for Wind Engineering
Honors and Awards
- 2010-2011 Scientific Visitor Appointment, Advanced Studies Program, Microscale and Meteorology Meteorology division of the National Center for Atmospheric Research
Numerical Simulation and Visualization, Mesoscale Meteorology, Supercell Thunderstorms, Microbursts, Tornadogenesis, High Performance Computing
Mesoscale Meteorology, Thermodynamics and Radiation, Meteorological Instrumentation, Numerical Weather Prediction
Selected Publications and Presentations
Refereed Journal Articles
- Orf, L., E. Kantor, and E. Savory, 2012: Simulation of a downburst-producing thunderstorm using a very high-resolution three-dimensional cloud model. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, In Press.
- Vermeire, B. C., L. G. Orf, and E. Savory, 2011: Improved modelling of downburst outflows for wind engineering applications using a cooling source approach. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 99(8), 801–814.
- Vermeire, B. C., L. G. Orf, and E. Savory, 2011: A parametric study of downburst line near-surface outflows. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 99(4), 226–238.
- Orf, L. G., Lackmann, G., Herbster, C., Krueger, A., Cutrim, E., Whittaker, T., Steenburgh, J., Voss, M., 2007: Models as Educational Tools. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 88, 1101-1104.
- Lin, W., Orf, L. G., Savory, E., Novacco, C., 2007: Proposed large-scale modelling of the transient features of a downburst outflow. Wind and Structures, 10(4), 315-346.
- Orf, L. G., Semeraro, L.G., Wilhelmson, R., 2007: Vortex detection in a simulated supercell thunderstorm. Atmospheric Science Letters, 8, 29-35.
- Orf, L. G., 2004: Scientific visualizations with POV-Ray. Linux Journal, 227, 62-67.
- Orf, L. G., Anderson, J. R., 1999: A numerical study of traveling microbursts. Monthly Weather Review, 127, 1244-1257.
- Orf, L. G., Anderson, J., Straka, J., 1996: A Three-Dimensional Numerical Analysis of Colliding Microburst Outflow Dynamics. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 53, 2490-2511.
- Anderson, J. R., Straka, J. M., Orf, L. G., 1992: A 3-D model system for simulating thunderstorm microburst outflows. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 49, 125-131.
- Orf, L. G., Gilmore, M., Straka, J., Wilhelmson, R., Wicker, L., Rasmussen, E. (2008). Descending Reflectivity Cores in a Simulated Supercell. American Meteorological Society 24th Conference on Severe Local Storms, Savannah, GA.
- Orf, L. G., Wilhelmson, R. B. (2004). Evolution of tornado-like vortices in a numerically simulated supercell thunderstorm. American Meteorological Society 22nd Conference on Severe Local Storms, Hyannis, MA.
- Orf, L. G., Wilhelmson, R. B. (2002). Numerical simulations of flanking line phenomena. (pp. 268-270). Preprints, American Meteorological Soceity 21st Conference on Severe Local Storms, San Antonio.
- Orf, L. G. (2002). Numerical simulations of gust front/microburst collisions. (pp. 341-344). Preprints, American Meteorologocal Society 21st Conference on Severe Local Storms, San Antonio.
- Orf, L. G. (Presenter & Author) and R. Wilhelmson, Blue Waters User Group Meeting at Supercomputing 2010, “Understanding Tornadoes and Their Parent Supercells Through Ultra-High Resolution Simulation/Analysis,” New Orleans, LA (November 2010).
- Orf, L. G. (Presenter & Author), 24th Conference on Severe Local Storms, "Descending Reflectivity Cores in a simulated supercell", American Meteorological Society, Savannah, GA (October 2008).
- Orf, L. G. (Presenter & Author), Bryan, G. (Presenter & Author), 24th Conference on Severe Local Storms, "Persistent low level mesocyclones in simulated supercell thunderstorms" American Meteorological Society, Savannah, GA (October 2008).
- Orf, L. G. (Presenter & Author), Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, "Numerical simulation of a tornadogenic supercell", University of California - Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA (December 2006).
- Orf, L. G. (Presenter & Author), 23rd Conference on Severe Local Storms, "The Role of Hook Echo Microbursts in Simulated Tornadic Supercells. Part I Association with counter-rotating vortices and tornadogenesis" American Meteorological Society, St. Louis (2006).
- Orf, L. G. (Presenter & Author), 14th Annual US/Canada Workshop on Great Lakes Operational Meteorology, "Detection and Analysis of Low Level Vorticity in a Simulated Supercell Thunderstorm" National Weather Service, Meteorological Service of Canada, Grand Rapdis, MI (September 2005).