Skip navigation

Drinking Water

Drinking WaterThe water you get from your faucet can come from two places – from the water in lakes or rivers (surface water), or from water that comes from wells (groundwater). Some people who live in large cities or towns get their water for drinking from lakes and rivers, but most people in the United States get their drinking water from groundwater.

Through the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulates the community water systems that supply drinking water to most Americans. Every system is required to publish a yearly “consumer confidence report” detailing contaminants or violations of water quality standards. You can see the report for your water system by contacting the system directly. To find yours, visit the  EPA's Safe Drinking Water Information System website.

The MWRC helps with the work of making sure that your drinking water is safe. Feel free to contact us for guidance if you need tests done on your drinking water. We can help you determine which contaminants to test for and recommend potential solutions for any problems that might be found.

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Website Feedback | Desktop View