Minimum Total for Graduation: 15-16 hours
The Graduate Certificate in Actuarial Science is a one-year program. It is designed for students interested in a career in risk management. Students take courses that prepare them to take several Society of Actuaries (SOA) professional exams (Exam P, Exam FM, Exam MLC). The program also offers courses for Validation by Education Experience (VEE) credit. Students must consult with their Academic Advisor prior to registration.
- Hold at least a four year undergraduate degree or equivalent degree from a college or university of recognized standing and meet the requirements for regular admission to the College of Graduate Studies.
- Have completed a minimum of 13 semester hours of mathematics and/or statistics courses that include the following: MTH 233 (Calculus III) or the equivalent and one course in statistics or probability.
- A grade point average of 3.0 in mathematics and statistics course work is required.
- Minimum TOEFL for international students: 550 PBT, 79 IBT, 6.5 IELTS, 53 PTE, 5 IB or 77 MELAB. Further detail is available in the Application Guidelines for International Students.
- Required Courses (6-7 hours)
- Choose at least two Exam prep courses
- ACT 539 Probability Foundations of Actuarial Science 3(3-0)
- ACT 540 Mathematical Theory of Interest 4(4-0)
- ACT 541 Actuarial Mathematics for Life Contingencies I 3(3-0)
- ACT 542 Actuarial Mathematics for Life Contingencies II 3(3-0)
- ACT 543 Mathematics for Financial Economics 3(3-0)
- Elective Courses (9 hours)
- ECO 532 Economic Forecasting 3(3-0)*
- ECO 616 Advanced Microeconomic Theory 3(3-0)*
- ECO 620 Advanced Macroeconomic Theory 3(3-0)*
- STA 580 Applied Statistical Methods I 3(3-0)*
- STA 589 Time Series Forecasting 3(3-0)*
- STA 575 Statistical Programming for Data Management and Analysis 3 (3-0)
- STA 580 Applied Statistical Methods I 3 (3-0)
- STA 584 Mathematical Statistics I 3 (3-0)
- STA 590 Applied Statistical Methods II 3 (3-0)
- STA 591 Data Mining Techniques 3 (3-0)
*Validation by Educational Experience (VEE) Courses.
View Graduate Bulletin for Graduate Certificate Program in Actuarial Science HERE