It is intended that creation of the portfolio will provide the student with an opportunity to reflect upon the teaching experience. The portfolio may also aid the student in career advancement beyond the doctoral degree. The following items that reflect the teaching methods discussed in MTH 761 are the minimum requirements to be included in the portfolio.
- A copy of the syllabus from the course being used for the internship.
- A summary of different pedagogical methods used in the class; giving examples of each type.
- A sample of lesson plans on topics explored with technology or other non-lecture pedagogy; a brief discussion of what happened when the lesson plan was implemented in the classroom; a discussion of the successes and failures of the lesson plan and why they occurred; and a discussion of what the graduate student would do differently if they taught this lesson again.
- A brief discussion of expectations held about the students in the course and a comparison to how the students met or did not meet the instructor's expectations during the semester.
- A discussion of various assessment strategies used, and anonymous copies of student work from each type to be included.
- The observation assessment documents made by the faculty supervisor during the semester.