|Professor and Department Chairperson|
Applied and Computational Mathematics
Pearce Hall 214
Honors and Awards
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1982
- B.S., National Taiwan University, 1975
- UT CTE Teaching Enhancement Award, 1995
- UCLA IPAM Fellow, 2002
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Wavelet Analysis and Applications, Mathematical Physics, and Complex Geometry
Analysis, Geometry, Topology and Applied Mathematics
Selected Publications and Presentations
- E. B. Lin and N. Liu, Legendre Wavelet Method for Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations, to appear in Numerical Methods of Partial Differential Equation.
- E. B. Lin, Multi-scaling Approximation for Eigenvalue Problems of Fredholm Integral Operators, Journal of Applied Functional Analysis, vol.2. no.4, 461-470, 2007.
- E. B. Lin and P. Liu, A Discrete Wavelet Analysis of Freak Waves in the Ocean, Journal of Applied Mathematics, 5, 379-394, 2004.
- E. B. Lin and X. Zhou, Connection coefficients on an interval and numerical solution of the Burgers equation, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 135, 63-78, 2001.
- E. B. Lin and X. Zhou, Coiflet Interpolation and Approximate solutions of Partial Differential Equations, Numerical Methods of Partial Differential Equation, 13, 303-320, 1997.
- E. B. Lin, Eigenvalue Approximation of Fredholm Integral Operators, AMS Symposia on Applied Mathematics, 48, 317-321, 1994.
- E. B. Lin, A Gauge Theory for Quantum System with Isospin, J. Physics A, 24, L 1045-1049, 1991.
- E. B. Lin and B. Wong, Boundary Localization of the Normal Family of Holomorphic Mappings and Remarks on Existence of Bounded Holomorphic Functions on Complex Manifolds, Illinois J. of Math., 34(3), 656-664, 1990.
- E. B. Lin, Quantum Control Theory I, Contemporary Math., 97, 269-278, 1989.
- E. B. Lin, Geometric Quantization of Particles with Isotopic Spin, Hadronic Journal, 5(6), 2041-2068, 1982.
- “Geometric Quantization,” University of Chicago, April 1984.
- “Geometric Quantization of Particles in Quark Models," First International Conference on Physics of Phase Space, University of Maryland, May 1986.
- “Symmetries and Double Fibrations," International Symposium on Spacetime Symmetries, Maryland, May 1988.
- “Boundary Localization of the Normal Family of Holomorphic Mappings," AMS 853rd Meeting, UCLA, November 1989.
- “Quantum Mechanical Control Systems," SIAM Conference on Dynamical Systems, May 1990.
- “A Gauge Theory for Quantum Systems with Isotopic Spin," International Congress of Mathematicians, Kyoto, Japan, Aug. 1990.
- “Multiwavelet Interpolation and Approximate Solutions of Partial Differential Equations," Annual AMS Meeting, San Diego, CA January 11, 1997.
- “Image Compression and Denoising via Nonseparable Wavelet Approximation," The first SIAM Conference on Imaging Science, Boston, March 4-6, 2002.
- “Wavelet Methods for Functional Integral Equations," International Conference on Applicable Harmonic Analysis, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, June 17-21, 2006.
- “Multiscale Analysis, Mechanics and Applications," World Congress of Nonlinear Analysts, Orlando, Florida, July 2008.