Information for Prospective Students

If you are interested in applying for the SAM program, please keep in mind the following guidelines for the admissions process.


Applications are considered for Summer II term entrance only. You should apply by February 1 to compete for financial awards, but applications will continue to be reviewed until all assistantship positions are filled. No separate application is required for financial support. The SAM program expects to offer 4-5 new assistantship positions each year.

Applications for admission to the SAM program are available through the CMU College of Graduate Studies.

Graduate Admissions
(989) 774-GRAD

College of Graduate Studies
Central Michigan University
Foust Hall 100
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859

Office of International Affairs
(989) 774-4308

Office of International Affairs
Central Michigan University
Ronan Hall 330
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859

Admission Requirements

Students with a master's degree in physics, chemistry, biochemistry, biology, geology, engineering, mathematics or other relevant areas of science will be considered for admission. You must be admitted to the CMU College of Graduate Studies and the SAM program.

Transcripts of previous undergraduate and graduate studies, GRE scores, a statement of research interests and letters of recommendation will be used in evaluating candidates for admission. All materials must be submitted for your application to be considered complete. Incomplete applications are not likely to be competitive in the admissions review.

Relevant graduate coursework taken previously may be counted toward meeting some of the program requirements. A completed M.S. thesis on a materials-related topic will be counted toward the directed research credits required for the SAM Ph.D.

Financial Support

Students in the SAM program may be considered for support as teaching (TA) or research (RA) assistants. You will normally work as teaching assistants during the first 2 years and as research assistants during the final 1-2 years of the program, once you have selected an advisor.

Teaching assistantships are awarded through the SAM program. Research assistantships may be available from individual faculty members through external grants and contracts. Once you have been admitted to the program, you may discuss with faculty whether funding is available for research support.

Application information

No separate assistantship application is required. You will be considered for support as part of our admissions process.

Learn More…

About Central Michigan University

Central Michigan University is one of the nation's top 100 largest public higher education institutions and Michigan's fourth largest public university.

About Mount Pleasant, Michigan

Mount Pleasant offers all the activities and attractions you could want – from dining to golf, canoeing to skydiving, you'll find something exciting.

Housing Options

With so many housing options on campus and throughout Mount Pleasant, you'll find the right place to call home at CMU.

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site