Camp Central for College Candidates is a summer science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) program for rising seventh graders attending CMU Charter Schools, including Flint, Detroit, Great Lakes Bay Region, and West Michigan.
Camp Central will challenge students to achieve their best in STEAM learning through exciting classroom and laboratory activities specifically designed for students their age. A future-focused program, the camp helps students explore STEAM careers, engage in real-world projects and participate in a college campus living experience.
Camp Central will be held July 9 - 15, 2017, with a mandatory training for all staff the evening of July 5 and all day July 6 - 7.
CMU's goal for Camp Central is to bring together expertise from across campus and create synergies in the areas of teacher education, leadership education, STEAM education and diversity experiences. It will provide CMU students in teacher education, student organizations, and leadership programs opportunities to practice their crafts. Another goal is to build capacity and relationships for future CMU program connections with students, educators and P-12 school communities. Most importantly, it will enhance the CMU students' lives and provide them an opportunity to experience working with diverse populations.
The Camp Mentor position has two primary components.
This position includes facilitating classroom lessons and activities alongside a CMU faculty member (as appropriate to your experience and academic major/program) as well as monitoring and interacting with campers during other camp-related programs throughout each day. Tasks include escorting campers to academic sessions and throughout campus, participating/facilitating leadership and team building activities in the afternoon and evening, and attending each meal with your campers. During camp, you will be expected to reside in the residence halls during the mandatory training and with the campers while camp is in session (housing and meals will be provided).
- Monitor and accompany your assigned group of campers throughout campus to various STEAM sessions, activities, meals, etc.
- Lead team-building activities
- Explain and discuss what college/university life is like
- Serve as a mentor and encourage campers to consider college in their future
- Build lasting relationships with Camp Central students
- Possess a passion or interest in working with middle school students and/or youth
- Critical thinking skills
- Strong communication/interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and with a diverse population
- Current college student with on campus involvement or previous student engagement experiences
- Previous experience working at a youth centered camp and/or with middle school students/youth
- Experience facilitating leadership/team building activities
- Previous experience as a student leader/mentor within a Registered Student Organization or similar organization
- Classroom instruction experience
Applications for this position are due Sunday, April 2, 2017. To apply please click