Enrich your educational experiences by getting a head start on college credits while you complete your high school diploma. Courses are offered in a variety of formats (face to face, hybrid, and online) to provide you with flexibility in scheduling and program completion.
Benefits of Dual Enrollment
- Take fashion classes that are not available at your high school.
- Earn credits towards a college degree in fashion
- Count your earned CMU credits toward both high school graduation requirements and college degree requirements
- The Fashion Department and the CMU Admissions Office will work with you to enroll in courses that will meet your needs.
Dual Enrollment Fashion Program
You have the opportunity to
earn up to 9 credits of Fashion Merchandising & Design coursework in the dual enrollment program.
We deliver these courses in a unique, blended format with mini experiences
- Visit fashion
companies such as Carhartt, Shinola, and John Varvatos.
- Interact with
industry professionals who give you a real-world perspective of your chosen
- Attend field trips to fashion retailers, apparel manufacturers, and the
Detroit Institute of Art, to supplement your classroom learning with real-world
Take one or all of our dual-enrollment courses:
FMD 141: Fashion Fundamentals - Introductory design process, thinking and
visual literacy for application to fashion.
- Emphasis on elements and
principles of design, garment silhouettes, and basic Adobe Illustrator
- Four mini experiences to be held at Carhartt’s flagship store
located at 5800 Cass Ave., Detroit, Michigan.
- Offered Spring
2021 April 5th – May 25th Wednesdays from 6:30-8:30
pm. CARHARTT AWARD available for this class. See below for details
FMD 256: Introduction to the Fashion Industry - the complex of enterprises
concerned with the design, production, and distribution of men’s, women’s, and
children’s apparel and accessories. This course will be offered Fall 2021
FMD 250: History of Western Dress - History of Western dress from
ancient times to the 21st century. This course will be offered Spring 2022
Additional dual enrollment options are available.
- High school GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Approval from your high school counselor
- Admission to CMU as a dual-enrolled student
For more information, contact:
Department of Fashion, Interior Design, & Merchandising
989-774-5587 | Tanya.email@example.com
Apply for the Carhartt Mini Award
You can apply for tuition funding for our dual enrollment program.
- Enroll in FMD 141: Fashion Fundamentals for dual-enrollment credit by February 5, 2021.
- Regularly attend online class – Wednesdays from 6:30-8:30 pm.
- Meet with an instructor as requested.
in the pre-class orientation “How to Be Successful in your University Class”.
in all face-to-face classes to be held from 6:30-8:30 pm on April 7th,
April 28th, May 12, May 19th to be held at Carhartt’s
flagship store located at 5800 Cass Ave., Detroit, Michigan.
Funding amount to be determined by Carhartt. The maximum amount is $650.
Carharrt Mini Award Application