Central Michigan University's Counseling Program
academic unit is housed the Department of Counseling and Special Education within the College of Education and Human Services. The program's primary responsibility is to prepare students through a listing of academic requirements and expectations needed to obtain a Master of Arts in Counseling degree.
View the Academic Bulletin.
The Counseling program faculty at Central Michigan University offer courses and programs designed to prepare students to work as counseling personnel in public and private schools, institutions of higher education, community-based social service agencies, and private practice.
- Classes are offered nights, weekends, or online to better accommodate all students.
- CMU's faculty use a variety of instructional methods to meet the needs of all learners, including discussion, lecture, guest speakers, role plays, video clips, reflection experiences, practical experiences, and service learning. Faculty are Licensed Professional Counselors and full-time faculty hold doctoral degrees in Counselor Education.
- Teaching excellence is a top priority of the faculty.
- Students who successfully complete a program for Counseling earn a Master of Arts degree in Counseling, focusing in either
School Counseling or Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Addictions Counseling.
Syllabi are available for review for all enrolled or prospective students.
- The coursework and training experiences at Central Michigan University are equivalent to the standards established by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), and exceeds the Michigan requirements for school counselor licensure/endorsement and/or counselor licensure in professional counseling. The Counseling program at CMU is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The School Counseling option is fully accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). The program is currently in the process of pursing accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).