Skip navigation

Licensure and Certifications

To hold a license or certification in a professional discipline demonstrates that you meet the minimum qualifications to practice in that profession. It is an honor and privilege to hold a license to practice in counseling. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for licensure and/or certification immediately following graduation. There is no license reciprocity in the United States at present. Licensure and certification laws/rules differ by state. If leaving the state of Michigan is a future goal or option, the student is encouraged to consult with their academic advisor and conduct additional research about the licensure requirements in that state while they are still enrolled in the program. 

Addiction Counseling

Students completing the Master of Arts in Counseling with an Addiction concentration are eligible to pursue licensure through the Licensing and Regulatory Board (LARA) as a Limited License Professional Counselor (LLPC). See below for more information about the licensing process under Clinical Mental Health Counseling. These students are also eligible for alcohol and other drug (AOD) credentialing, namely the Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CAADC), through the Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals (MCBAP).

Clinical Mental Health Counseling

Students completing the Master of Arts in Counseling with a Clinical Mental Health Counseling concentration are eligible to pursue licensure through the Licensing and Regulatory Board (LARA) as a Limited License Professional Counselor (LLPC). Upon completion of 3,000 clinical hours and 100 hours of supervision from an LPC with supervision training, an LLPC may apply for the Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) license. 

School Counseling

Students completing the Master of Arts in Counseling with a School Counseling concentration have two options:

1) Students who hold a valid teaching certificate in the State of Michigan may apply to have a School Counseling Endorsement added to their teaching certificate;

2) Students who DO NOT have a teaching certificate should apply for a School Counseling License. Students who hold a teaching certificate may apply for a School Counseling License in addition to or in lieu of the School Counseling Endorsement. Both the endorsement and license are granted by the Michigan Department of Education.

DISCLAIMER: For alumni of Central Michigan University's 48-credit hour Professional Counseling and School Counseling programs, please refer all questions about becoming a Limited Licensed Professional Counselor (LLPC) or Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and/or current and future educational requirements to the Michigan Bureau of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).

College of Education and Human Services | Central Michigan University | | 195 Ojibway Ct | EHS 426 | Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 | (989) 774-3079