Skip navigation

Sustainable Design

​Graduate student Jason Gagnon completed an independent study as a pre-thesis exploration of sustainable patternmaking and techniques. The main types of sustainable design used in this independent study were upcycling, zero waste, and subtraction cutting.

Jason Gagnon Design.jpg
This upcycled garment was inspired by Edwardian fashion, especially shirtwaist blouses. A futuristic vision was created using 65% purchased men's button down shirts. The remaining garment was created by using 35% purchased shirting fabric.
A draped velour knit garment was created through subtraction cutting and a standard bodice sloper. It features an exposed zipper at center back, black bias tape, and black piping on the shoulder line.

Jason Gagnon Design2.jpg
Jason Gagnon Design3.jpg
Avant Gardenia
This zero waste garment was created by using 1/2 yard of neoprene knit with a width of 54". A diamond-shaped neckline, pleats at center front, and a square shape create a modern top for a fashion forward customer.
A subtraction cutting garment that was created by attaching the draped skirt portion to a draped bodice. Silk crepe de chine was dyed with acid dyes using a knotted shibori technique.
Jason Gagnon Design4.jpg

College of Education and Human Services | Central Michigan University | | 195 Ojibway Ct | EHS 426 | Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 | (989) 774-3079

CMU, is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Website Feedback | Desktop View