Skip navigation


Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take to finish the program?

The courses are offered in an arrangement which enables students to complete the program in approximately 2 years.  Once you have decided on a program option (see classes required), utilize the course schedule (also on the web site) to map out how you would like to take your courses.  You will then be able to tell exactly how long it will take you to complete the program.  (Please remember, however, that the course schedule is subject to change.  Also, note that courses may fill early so you would always want to plan to register as soon course registration is open to you.)
Do I have to be a Registered Dietitian to complete the program?

You do not have to be an R.D. to enter this program, but the Plan B-internship option is limited to those students who have completed or will be completing an ADA (American Dietetics Association) approved internship.
Do I have to visit campus to complete the program?

Travel to the Mt. Pleasant, Michigan campus is never required to complete this program.  We have had students from all over the United States complete this program and all requirements were completed from their current location.
Is the TOEFL required?

Demonstrating English Competency at the Graduate Level. International students whose native language is not English must demonstrate their English language competency. For specific methods, click here.

Is the GRE required?

The GRE is not required for admission to the M.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics program, but is encouraged.
What is the typical class size?

On an average, the typical class size is approximately 18.
How are exams administered?

Exams are completed on-line.  Detailed instructions and requirements will be provided by the course professor.
What type of positions will I qualify for after completing the M.S in Nutrition and Dietetics if I am not a Registered Dietitian?

The M.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics would be ideal for research purposes in a non-clinical setting, foodservice management or administration in nutrition services, but would not be suitable for private practice, clinical dietetics work (hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, consulting) or the majority of community/public health work.  Most states have legislation requiring that clinical nutrition services or nutrition education services must be provided by a registered dietitian who is licensed by the state.
Are students eligible for a tuition adjustment if they are in the military?

Military students will have their tuition rate adjusted to the $327 per credit hour reduced rate upon submitting their military picture identification.
I'm employed full-time. Is it OK to take only one class per semester?

​ ​Yes.  Many of our students opt to take only one course per semester, while others will take two or even three courses per semester.  You may complete the program at the pace that suits you, keeping in mind that you have a maximum of seven years to complete all program requirements.
Can you explain the credit by examination (CBE) process to me?

R.D.s who did not earn graduate credit for their internship, or those whose graduate level internship credit is more than seven years old, are eligible to earn the 12 hours of internship credit required on the Plan B-internship option through passing a series of three examinations.  These three examinations, frequently referred to as CBE (credit by examination) are in the areas of 1) clinical, 2) foodservice administration and 3) a summary examination.  The exams are 100 multiple choice questions each.  Students may take the exams at anytime throughout the course of their program.  The cost for the exams is at a rate of $40 per credit hour or $480 for all 12 credits.  The exams are administered online.  CR/NC grading is utilized.  Students are allowed two attempts to pass each exam.  If a passing score is not obtained after two attempts, the student must earn the 12 credits through electives. The application form and a check made payable to CMU should be mailed to Candace Maylee, 207 Wightman Hall, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI  48859.  Once the application has been processed, you will receive an email with information on accessing the exam site.
How do I drop a class once registration has closed? How much of a refund will I receive?

Students may drop courses at the following web site: The web site contains a link to the refund chart.
Who can I contact to discuss what is required of the plan B paper or thesis? I also need help in deciding the subject matter of my paper or thesis.

While administrative questions may be directed to Candace Maylee at or 989-774-2613, questions regarding the subject matter and process of completing a plan B paper or thesis should be directed to your faculty advisor or the program director.  All students are assigned a faculty advisor upon admission to the program.  The Faculty advisor is:

Dr. Roschelle Heuberger at 989-774-3571 or Director)

The process of completing a plan B paper or thesis should be directed towards the Program Director - Dr. Roschelle Heuberger. Dr. Heuberger will provide information regarding Plan B papers and thesis work, and any sponsorship or committee planning that is required.

Am I guaranteed to get in the classes I want each semester?

Admission into the program does not guarantee a "seat" in any given course for any given semester.  We will attempt to accommodate your needs for course "seats" as best as we can considering enrollment restrictions.
How can I raise my G.P.A. if I do not meet the 3.0 minimum required for admission?

Deficiencies in G.P.A. may only be remedied by completing additional senior level undergraduate coursework in the areas of the sciences or dietetics sufficient to elevate the G.P.A. to 3.0 or better.
How long will it take to complete a plan B paper or thesis with an individual faculty?

The process may take several months or even years.  Please review the "Informational Handout to Complete the Planning Form" found on the forms page of this web site for additional information.

For more information about this program, contact Candace Maylee
at or 989-774-2613.

College of Education and Human Services | Central Michigan University | | 195 Ojibway Ct | EHS 426 | Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 | (989) 774-3079