Therapeutic Recreation Concentration
CMU's therapeutic recreation program is designed to provide you with the knowledge, skills and practical experience necessary to become a nationally certified therapeutic recreation specialist. In our major, students will learn how to provide functional treatment services and recreational activities for those within a community with intellectual disabilities, emotional impairments, physical disabilities, chemical dependency or seniors with disabilities.
Highlights about this program
Start with these classes
- Receive your degree from one of the most successful programs in the United States, with our program ranking as one of the top five programs in the nation for number of certified therapeutic recreation specialists.
- Finish up your academic career with a 15- or 30-week clinical internship.
- Learn from faculty, all of whom have professional therapeutic recreation experience and are all nationally Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists.
Graduates of this program are passing the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) examination at a 86.7 passing rate, (national average is 75.3).
- RPL 118: Introduction to Recreation
- RPL 210: Introduction to Therapeutic Recreation
- HSC 214: Human Anatomy
HSC 215: Human Physiology
Apply to CMU