Skip navigation

Special Education for Cognitive Impairment

​​​​​​​​​Special Education Cognitive Impairments​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Working with those who have cognitive impairments can be extremely rewarding. To do so, you can earn a special education degree through the Bachelor of Science in Education degree. You can then choose to receive provisional elementary or ​​secondary certification with cognitive impairment endorsement, grades K-12. Students have the opportunity to excel in a program offering rigorous coursework and valuable fieldwork experiences.​​

  • Curriculum
    B.S. in Ed., Provisional Elementary or Secondary Certification with Emotional or Cognitive Impairment Endorsement. A minimum 2.7 GPA (B-) must be earned in all teaching majors.​
  • SPE 126 (3): Introduction to Special Education
  • *SPE 322 (6): Curriculum and Instruction for Students with Special Needs
  • *SPE 323 (3): Classroom Management for Students with Special Needs
  • *SPE 324 (6): Special Education Classroom-Based Assessment
  • SPE 570 (3): Career Development and Transition
  • SPE 550WI (3): Teaching Diverse Students in Educational Settings
  • * These are courses which require a C+ or better.
  • Required Courses (15 hours)
  • *SPE 519 (3): Students with Cognitive Impairment
  • *SPE 521 (3): Teaching the Student with Cognitive Impairment
  • *SPE 522 (3): Seminar in Advanced Methods for Teaching Students with Cognitive Impairment
  • *SPE 458 (9)​: Special Education Clinical Experience: Cognitive Impairment
  • * These are courses which require a C+ or better.
  • ​Total: 42 semester hours
College of Education and Human Services | Central Michigan University | | 195 Ojibway Ct | EHS 426 | Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 | (989) 774-3079