Therapeutic Recreation Employment
As a Recreation Therapist, or Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, you would provide functional treatment services or recreation activities for persons with intellectual disabilities, emotional impairments, physical disabilities, chemical dependency, or seniors with disabilities. These services would occur in a variety of employment settings including: hospitals and clinics, residential agencies, long-term care facilities, camps, or community parks and recreation departments. The employment prospects for graduates of this program are strong.

Career Opportunities
Graduates of the TR program will find a variety of career opportunities available to them:

•​Hospitals •​Psychiatric Treatment Centers
•​Long Term Care Facilities •​Adult Daycare/Senior Centers
•​Rehabilitation Centers •​Residential Facilities
•​Day Treatment Programs •​Community Therapeutic Recreation  Programs
•​Residential Programs for Persons with  Disabilities •​Residential Programs for Youth-At-  Risk
•​Correctional Facilities •​Disability Sports Organizations
•​Special Camps​
Internship Opportunities
Internships in the TR major give students access to obtaining career experience before graduating from CMU. For a list of internships in the Therapeutic Recreation department, please visit our Internships​​ page. 
College of Education and Human Services | Central Michigan University | | 195 Ojibway Ct | EHS 426 | Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 | (989) 774-3079