Teacher Education Admission
There are two admission cycles every academic year, one in the Fall semester (September) and one in the Spring semester (February). Admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP) is a separate application process required of each student who expects to earn the Michigan Provisional Teaching Certificate. Academic advisors and staff in the Center for Student Services (CSS) are available for assistance with all aspects of the admission process. All items on the Admission Checklist must be submitted to CSS on the appropriate date no later than 5pm. Students will be contacted no later than 2-4 weeks after the deadline date if they have been admitted. *A student must go by the admission checklist that is in place the semester prior to being admitted. It is important for a student to print off a new admission checklist every semester.*
Admission to the teacher education program qualifies the student to register for courses in the professional education sequence as well as certain professional education courses with the pre-requisite of admission to Teacher Education.
Below is a list of requirements that must be completed in order to be considered for admission:
- Completion of the Application Form. The $50 non-refundable one-time application fee will be charged to the student’s account once the completed application has been processed. The application will activate the Student Information Sheet.
- Completion of the Technical Standards Form.
- Completion of the Professional Readiness Exam #096 (formerly known as the Michigan Basic Skills Test) Apply online at www.mttc.nesinc.com. Please note that a separate fee is required for the PRE. Test results must be received by the CSS before the admission deadline.
Beginning May 9, 2014, the EHS Center for Student Services will accept ACT and MME scores in lieu of the PRE. The following table describes what minimum scores will be accepted:
|ACT Score Equivalencies||||MME Score Equivalencies|||
|Combined English + Writing||24||Writing ||1129|
A paper or digital scan of the student's ACT/MME scores must be kept on file in the EHS Center for Student services in the student's personal file. Verified test results must be received by the CSS before the admission deadline.
- 45-Hour Pre-Professional Experience. The student must complete and document 45 hours of in-classroom experiences, with a State Certified Educator. Visit the Forms page for the appropriate documentation.
- A minimum of 45 semester hours of university credit, including transfer credit, successfully completed.
- Completion of EDU 107 – Introduction to Teaching, with a minimum grade of “B” (3.00) or one of its approved equivalencies.
- Completion of English 101 (or one of its approved equivalencies) OR English 201, with a minimum grade of “B-”(2.70); and oral English and Mathematics competency with a minimum grade of “C” (2.00). See the CMU Undergraduate Bulletin for specific courses.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required for admission. The GPA will be calculated on the student’s cumulative CMU or at regionally accredited institutions.
- Transcripts for all graded courses taken at other accredited colleges or universities must be on file with the Registrar’s Office. These do not need to be submitted to the CSS.
- Students can confirm their admission status on the Student Information Sheet.