In order to be eligible for admission to the Teacher Education Program, you must have successfully completed a minimum of 45 credit hours of post-secondary credit from a regionally accredited institution. However, for many students 45 credit hours will be too soon for admission, so you will want to meet with an advisor to determine when the best time is for you. A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.70 is required for admission. The GPA will be calculated on the student’s cumulative CMU or at regionally accredited institutions. Effective January 1, 2014 the acceptance of a student using a minimum of the most recent 45 graded semester hours GPA will no longer be used for admission to teacher education. 

The coursework required for admission to the Teacher Education Program includes the following:
  • EDU 107 (or equivalent)                           B or better
  • ENG 101 or ENG 201 (or equivalent)     B- or better
  • Oral English competency                         C or better
  • Mathematics competency                        C or better

Note: If the minimum grade is not met, you must retake the courses to earn the grade required for admission.

Students may attempt a course no more than 3 times, according to the repeat course policy listed in the Undergraduate Bulletin. This includes transfer credit as well as attempts at CMU where the student was awarded a grade of A through E, or CR, NC, I, W, X, or Z.

If you have passed the CLEP exams, competency exams, or earned AP credit in competency courses, you have completed the requirements. If you have questions, contact an academic advisor in Undergraduate Academic Services 989-774-3504. Since the competencies represent basic skills that you will use throughout your college career, they should be completed early in your career. These are required to be completed by 56 credit hours.

Official transcripts from other accredited institutions must be turned in to the Registrars office in Warriner 212 prior to admission.

If you are pursuing an elementary teaching certificate, you must take these prerequisite courses before you can take the professional education sequence courses:

  • EDU 107
  • EDU 280 or HDF 100 or PSY 220* with a C+ or better
  • EDU 290
  • MTH 151
    *Note: PSY 100 is a prerequisite for PSY 220 and you must take PSY 220 if you are following a program in Special Education 

If you are pursuing a secondary teaching certificate, you must take EDU 107 before taking your professional education sequence courses and the following courses are highly recommended:

  • HDF 100 or PSY 220* with a C+ or better
  • EDU 290**
    *Note: PSY 100 is a prerequisite for PSY 220 and you must take PSY 220 if you are following a program in Special Education 
    **Note: EDU 290 is not required for Music Education students.
Coursework Grade Minimums
A “C+” (2.30) is the minimum acceptable grade in the following courses: 
  • All professional education courses (EDU designators), except EDU 107 which requires a B
  • All Pre-Student Teaching, Student Teaching, and methods courses. 
  • All courses that are approved as substitutes for professional education courses. 
  • All “incomplete” must be replaced with a “C+” (2.30) grade or better. 
  • See list of professional education and departmental methods/Pre-Student Teaching courses requiring a “C+” (2.30) grade minimum.

If you do not earn the required grade you will need to repeat the course. Contact the TEPD office in EHS 421 (989-774-3975) for rescheduling and re-registering for the class that needs to be repeated. 

EDU 107: Introduction to Teaching

EDU 107: Introduction to Teaching is the first course in the series of professional education courses and is taken by all teacher candidates. This course incorporates both group activities and "field" components to give you a realistic view of teaching. It will help you decide if teaching is the profession for you. For the "field" requirement, you must complete 10-15 hours of field observation in PK-12 classroom settings during the semester that you take this course (general EDU 107 requires 10 hours and Honors EDU 107 requires 15 hours).

This course is required for admission to the Teacher Education Program and is an opportunity for you to decide whether teaching is the career for you. It can also help you determine whether you are interested in the elementary or secondary program. Concepts covered in EDU 107 form the beginning of a professional knowledge base in teaching. You will encounter these concepts repeatedly in your Teacher Education Program.

Enroll in EDU 107 as early as possible in your program. Transfer students should take an equivalent course prior to enrolling at CMU or should take EDU 107 during the first semester at CMU. All EDU 107 equivalency and transfer-related matters from a university other than on the Transfer Equivalency list should be discussed with the TEPD Chair (989-774-3976).

Note: Your EDU 107 grade/credit is valid for seven years.

A list of course equivalencies for other colleges/universities can be found here.

You must earn a grade of "B" (3.00) or better in EDU 107 or its equivalent to be considered for admission to teacher education. This course can be repeated in compliance with university policy as stated in the Undergraduate Bulletin.
College of Education and Human Services | Central Michigan University | | 195 Ojibway Ct | EHS 426 | Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 | (989) 774-3079

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site