Skip navigation

Post-Baccalaureate Certification

The policy regarding Teacher Certification and/or Endorsement for Post-Baccalaureate Students is published in the CMU bulletin. On campus enrollment is required. 

The initial post-baccalaureate certification program at CMU is for those who already have a four-year non-teaching degree from an accredited institution and would like to pursue a Michigan teaching certificate for the PK-12 setting.  This is the same program followed by our traditional undergraduates, and all professional education sequence courses are available only on campus in Mount Pleasant during the "traditional" class hours of a Monday-Friday schedule. The time required to complete the program is dependent upon an individual's goal, your undergraduate program, and your choice of teachable specializations (major and/or minor). The Center for Student Services will assist in determining the length of program and timeline.

The evaluation process consists of reviewing your transcripts and determining accepted credits from your undergraduate coursework that are equivalent to courses needed on CMU's teacher education program. You must submit official transcripts to EHS 421 (unless Central Michigan University was the only institution you attended).

The program is divided into four sections:
  1. General Education Requirements: It is necessary to have a completed Bachelor degree with a 3.0 or higher and a writing competency course with a B- or higher, as well as speech and mathematics competency courses.

  2. Other Requirements: Teacher education students must complete other course requirements that fulfill Michigan Department of Education standards. The courses vary based on elementary or secondary options.

  3. Major/minor Coursework:  These will be reviewed by the faculty advisor.

  4. Professional Education Requirements: These are the professional education sequence courses and the Student Teaching experience.

If you are interested in additional information, please review the Admission Checklist and Criteria specifically for admission to teacher education for a Post-Baccalaureate, which outlines the requirements needed in order to be admitted into the teacher education program. You must have an appointment (by phone or in person) with our academic advisor prior to applying for the teacher education program.  

**Please note that admission to CMU is required prior to admission to the Teacher Education program.

After reviewing the information, if you feel our program is for you, you may submit the Post-Baccalaureate Certification Inquiry Form.  Please allow 30 days (after all transcripts are received) for processing and evaluations to be completed. You will be contacted to set up the advising appointment.


Michigan law requires a person employed in an elementary or secondary school with instructional responsibilities shall hold a certificate, permit or vocational/authorization valid for the positions to which he/she is assigned. The Office of Professional Preparation Services (OPPS) and the Michigan Department of Education foster the educational achievement of all Michigan youth and adults, Pre-K through 12th grade, by ensuring that all professional school personnel complete quality preparation and professional development programs which meet the standards established by the Michigan Legislature and the State Board of Education.

The OPPS has transitioned to the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS). All educators apply for certification online. For more information on MOECS and instructions on how to apply for a Michigan Educator license visit

College of Education and Human Services | Central Michigan University | | 195 Ojibway Ct | EHS 426 | Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 | (989) 774-3079