Professional Certification (Effective September 1, 2013) A professional certificate application must include ONE (1) of the following:
- Six semester credit hours in a planned program at an approved Educator Prep Institution (EPI) / or 6 semester credit hours of academic credit appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement at any regionally accredited college or university or
- 150 Michigan State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECH) appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement of the certificate or
- 150 District Provided Professional Development (DPPD) Hours appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement of the certificate or
- A combination of semester credit hours, State Continuing Education Clock Hours or District Provided Professional Development Hours (25 State Continuing Education Clock Hours or 25 District Provided Professional Development Hours are equal to 1 semester credit hour).
Note: Semester credit hours, SCECH’s or DPPD must be earned since the issue date of the most recent certificate.
- Provide verification of 3 years of successful teaching experience within the validity of the provisional teaching certificate content endorsement areas and grade levels
- Must also meet the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) basic reading requirements (6 semester hours of teaching reading or reading methods for elementary certificates and 3 semester hours for secondary certificates)
- AND Effective July 1, 2009, the Michigan Department of Education requires a new 3 semester credit hour course in the diagnosis and remediation of reading disabilities, including field experiences for all Michigan educators which must be completed before a Michigan provisional certificate can be changed to the professional certificate. CMU’s approved Reading Diagnostic and Remediation Coursework is:
- EDU 603 elementary certification
- EDU 606 secondary certification
Note: Additional semester credit hours beyond the required 6 semester credit hours earned during any certificate validity span shall not be applied toward any subsequent renewals. Semester credit hours shall have been completed at a regionally accredited college or university. The professional certificate applications are submitted on line through The Office of Professional Preparation Services, the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS). For more information on MOECS and instructions on how to apply for the professional certificate, please visit
www.michigan.gov/moecs. The MDE help desk number is 517 373-3310.
For CMU information, please contact EHS Student Services at 989 774-3309.