- Check your Student Information Sheet to see how many hours you have completed
- If you would like a diversity audit to discuss your diversity status in detail, please submit the following: Diversity Audit Appointment Request
- Find a school and what diversity categories it covers click here
- If the school you are looking for can't be found click here (Please give 48 hours for your request to be processed)
Documentation of Diversity Categories
Automatically documented by the Center for Clinical Experiences:
- Pre-Student Teaching (after submission of signed paperwork at the end of the course)
- Student Teaching (approximately a month after the semester begins)
All other Pre-Professional Hours and any additional 30 hour experiences must be
submitted by the candidate here: Field Experience/Observation Hours Form
What are the diversity categories that need to be completed by the time I get certified?
- Race/Ethnicity - Candidates will participate in a classroom setting for a minimum of 30 hours with 20% or more non-white students as the basic classroom population.
- Socio-Economic Status - Candidates will participate in a field experience for a minimum of 30 hours in a school that has a minimum of 20% of students registered for free/reduced lunch.
- Gender - Candidates are expected to participate in a classroom setting for a minimum of 30 hours where both male and female students are learners.
- Exceptionalities - Candidates will complete a field experience in a classroom for a minimum of 30 hours that is defined as inclusive. The classroom will included students identified as having a physical, mental, or emotional exceptionality, a speech/communication disorder, or as gifted or talented.
- ESL - Candidates will complete at least one field experience for a minimum of 30 hours in a district that includes an English as a Second Language student population.
- K-12 Non-Urban School Setting - Candidates will complete at least one field experience for a minimum of 30 hours in a Category 1 (Non-Urban) school setting.
- K-12 Urban School Setting - Candidates will complete at least one field experience for a minimum of 30 hours in a Category 2 (Urban) school setting
Gender, Exceptionalities, and ESL are automatically met through a variety of your field experiences.
Note: You must observe at least 30 hours in the same school in order to fulfill any diversity category. It is possible for one 30-hour experience to fulfill 6 out of the 7 categories. Urban Setting and Non-Urban Setting will need to be fulfilled in different geographic areas.
All candidates in the teacher education program at Central Michigan University are expected to participate in learning situations and field experiences representing a wide range of diverse settings. In order to be recommended for certification, each candidate must complete their field experiences in such a way as to ensure that all the categories are met.
A candidate can begin fulfilling the categories during their Pre-Professional Observation Hours prior to Tier 2 admission to the Teacher Education Program. This information will be reviewed at Pre-Student Teaching and Student Teaching for placement purposes. Professional Education courses within the teacher preparation program will prepare students for dealing effectively with the various field placement types identified below, as well as with other important aspects of diversity.
At any time, a candidate may complete additional 30 hour field experience on their own if he/she has not met all the categories within their Pre-Professional Observation Hours, Pre-Student Teaching, and/or Student Teaching placements.