Learn more about the interview process below.
Professional Skills Interview
A Professional Skills Interview is required during Tier 2: Admission of Candidacy effective Fall 2017. Professional skills and dispositions are habits of thinking and action that emanate from professional attitudes, values, and beliefs. They are demonstrated through both verbal and non-verbal behaviors as educators interact with students, families, colleagues, and communities. The Professional Skills Interview will assist students and faculty to identify teacher candidates' areas of strength and target areas of focus allowing candidates to enhance their ability to effectively communicate and interact as developing professional educators. Students must have Tier 2 conditional admission prior to registering for an interview. Interviews must be completed during the semester that candidacy is confirmed. For example, if you are admitted in Fall 2017, you must interview during the Fall 2017 semester. Multiple opportunities will be offered for completing the interview. You will NOT be allowed to proceed in your Professional Education Sequence coursework until you complete the interview.
The Professional Skills Interview does not have a grade or score and is not pass/fail. Students will not be excluded from admission to the teacher education program based on their interview performance. The intended purpose of the Professional Skills Interview to provide students with formative feedback and the opportunity to enhance their skills as developing pre-service teachers.
The Professional Skills Interview is an extension of CMU's EDU 107 Introduction to Teaching. If you did not take EDU 107 at CMU, information is available that details the professional skills, attitudes, and dispositions evaluated through the interview. Click here to self-enroll in the Teacher Education Admission Blackboard and access a narrated presentation to assist you in preparing for the interview. Answers to common questions related to the Professional Skills Interview are available on the Teacher Education Admission webpage and in the Teacher Education Admissions Blackboard.
Click here to self-enroll in the Teacher Education Admissions Blackboard shell and access a narrated presentation to assist you in preparing for the interview. Answers to common questions related to the Professional Skills Interview are available on the Teacher Education Admission webpage and in the Teacher Education Admissions Blackboard.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What requirements do I have to meet to schedule an interview? Students must be completely eligible for Tier 2 admission prior to scheduling an interview. They must have a GPA of 3.0, a passing score on all sections of the PRE (by ACT, MME or PRE), completion of English 101 or English 201 (or approved equivalencies) with a minimum grade of B- (2.7), and have completed the 45 hours of Pre-professional experience.
- How long is the interview? The duration of the Professional Skills Interview is 90 minutes. Students are scheduled to arrive 15 minutes prior to the actual interview session, thus should expect to be at the interview site 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- What should I wear to the interview? Professional attire is expected for the Professional Skills Interview. Professional dress is generally described for women as modest dresses, suits, skirts or slacks with blouses or sweaters, and closed-toe shoes. For men, professional dress is generally described as suits or sport jackets with ties, slacks and collared shirts with shirts tucked in, and non-athletic, closed toe shoes. CMU’s Student Teaching handbook also advises candidates to refrain from wearing flip flops, low-cut tops, tight clothing, displaying tummy skin, wearing t-shirts, hats, or jeans, covering all tattoos and exhibiting pierced ears only; no other facial piercing.
- What should I do if I do not have professional attire? Professional attire is available for FREE from First Impressions, a CMU program located in the Bovee University Center. ALL CMU students are eligible to receive First Impressions clothing. First Impressions is not need-based, but does ask for a brief explanation of why you need First Impressions clothing for an event. For more information visit their website here.
- Should I bring anything? No. There is nothing you need to bring to the Professional Skills Interview.
- Will I be graded? No. There is not a grade assigned for the Professional Skills Interview. You will receive formative feedback on your performance in the group interview that will detail the areas in which you demonstrated strengths and areas of focus for you to improve your skills as a developing pre-service teacher.
- Does the interview cost anything? No. There are no additional costs to students to participate in the Professional Skills Interview.
- What can I expect when I arrive on the day of my scheduled interview? The Professional Skills Interview is a group interview session in which up to 8 students are interviewed by a team of 3 interviewers. Students are scheduled to arrive 15 minutes prior to their interview session. They wait outside the interview room and attendance is taken 10 minutes prior to the session. They enter the interview room and are seated with name tents to assist the interviewers in identifying them. The interview commences when the 3 member interviewer team enters the room. A series of interview questions are posed to the group and students respond through interactions with each other. At the conclusion of the 90 minute session, students will be given information on how they will receive feedback and will be dismissed.
For more information about the Professional Skills Interview contact Shannon Ebner at email@example.com