Skip navigation

CMU Students

CMU Disney College Program
IMG_3758-2.jpgCMU Credit Options
The Department of Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services Administration (RPL) makes fieldwork credit available to all students selected to the program no matter what major or class status. Students selected for the Disney College Program may earn from 1-15 credits from RPL for their entire Disney experience and includes work performance, Disney educational offerings and living/cultural experience.

Fieldwork Course 
RPL 318: Field Course in Recreation 1-15 credits
(This credit and course is similar to earning internship credit in that a student earns their credit primarily for the work experience in an entry level capacity in a specialized recreation setting, such as Disney.)

Fieldwork Requirements
Students will complete and submit five requirements to earn the RPL fieldwork credit:
  1. Final paper reflecting program experiences.
  2. Skills assessment at the end of the program.
  3. Disney Performance Evaluation form given to the student by their Disney manager at the end of the program.
  4. Conduct two informational interviews, networking with two professional Disney Cast Members of the student’s choice.
  5. Enroll and attend several Disney educational offerings. (See Disney’s website for current offerings.)

For Non-Recreation Majorslifeguard2.jpg
Credit is an option, not a requirement. For students who are not majoring in recreation, they are advised to seek an academic advisor to help determine their need or if credit is available to them from their own academic major. In many situations, RPL credit may be the student’s only option to earn credit for their experience at Disney.

RPL Credit has primarily been used to benefit a student:
  • As general elective credit to fulfill graduation requirements.
  • To meet the graduation requirement (40 credits of 300 level and above credit).
  • To help students maintain a full time student status for financial aid, scholarship, bank or parent’s insurance requirements.

CMU Fieldwork Course Registration
Each student determines for themselves how much CMU fieldwork credit to enroll for and how it will assist them with academic requirements.

Students who want to enroll for CMU credit for their experience at Disney and have received approval from their major advisor or RPL department, can enroll as a student normally does by going online when enrollment is open and register for the RPL 318 class desired with the appropriate number of credits selected.

If a student finds themselves in a situation where they are waiting to hear back from Disney about an offer or is in the process of deciding to accept or decline an offer and CMU enrollment begins for the next semester, we encourage students to go ahead and enroll as if they were going to be on campus for that next semester. It is easier to drop classes later if a Disney offer has been made than to try and add classes afterwards if the answer is no.

Submit within 3-4 weeks after the completion of your experience.

For Assistance 
Dean Wallin
Director, Center for Leisure Services
Department of Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services Administration

College of Education and Human Services | Central Michigan University | | 195 Ojibway Ct | EHS 426 | Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 | (989) 774-3079