The Central Michigan University College of Medicine uses the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) to receive and process all visiting student applications. If you are a student attending a U.S. LCME accredited or a participating COCA accredited AACOA member school, please review the
complete application instructions
Under no circumstances shall an interested student from another school make independent arrangements with a faculty member for an elective prior to submitting an application. When assigning students to electives, priority will be given to enrolled CMU College of Medicine students. Consult VSLO for elective availability.
The CMU College of Medicine offers a limited number of clinical electives to medical students currently enrolled in an LCME/COCA accredited school who meet the academic prerequisites and requirements of the elective.
International medical students are not accepted at this time for electives at the CMU College of Medicine. However, U.S. citizens who attend an institution included on the California List are eligible to apply for electives at the CMU College of Medicine. To view the list, please visit the
Medical School Recognized by the Medical Board of California webpage
Only electives listed on this site and the VSLO site are allowed.
- Students must be in good academic and professional standing at their home school.
- Students must have taken and achieved a minimum score on the USMLE Step 1 exam or the COMLEX-USA Level 1.
- Students must meet requirements and prerequisites listed for each elective.
- Students must present proof of current vaccinations and malpractice coverage insurance.
- Students must present a copy of their most criminal background check.