Dr. Göksel N. Demirer received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees from the Department of Environmental Engineering at Middle East Technical University (METU), Ankara, Turkey. Then, he moved to US for his Ph.D. studies and received his Ph.D. degree from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. He worked in the Department of Environmental Engineering at METU as a faculty member between 1997-2018 before he joined CMU.
He has been a visiting professor at Tuzla University (Bosnia-Herzegovina), Washington State University (Pullman, WA), RMIT University (Australia), University of Stuttgart (Germany), Villanova University (Villanova, PA), and Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI).
He has 99 peer-reviewed journal publications, 147 conference proceeding publications, 5 book or book chapters, over 2400 citations recorded in the Science Citation Index (ISI). His h-index is 28. He has been the primary investigator of 14 and co-primary investigator or researcher of 12 research projects. Moreover, he has been the principal supervisor of 30 and co-advisor of 4 M.Sc. and Ph.D. theses.
He also has extensive consulting experience with government, private companies as well as international organizations such as United Nations Development Programme, United Nations Industrial Development Organization, World Bank-International Finance Corporation, World Wildlife Fund, etc.
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1996
- M.Sc., Environmental Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1991
- B.Sc., Environmental Engineering, MIddle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1989
- Anaerobic Environmental Biotechnology
- Wastewater Engineering
- Waste Valorization
- Resource Efficiency
- Pollution Prevention
- Industrial Ecology
- Anaerobic Treatment of Wastes
- Wastewater Engineering Design
- Environmental Engineering Processes
- Cleaner Production
- Pollution Prevention and Clean Technologies
- Natural Systems for Wastewater Treatment
- Calicioglu O. and Demirer G.N., 2018. Carbon-to-nitrogen and substrate-to-inoculum ratio adjustments can improve co-digestion performance of microalgal biomass obtained from domestic wastewater treatment, Environmental Technology, Published online: 10 Nov 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2017.1398784
- Çaylı D., Uludag-Demirer S., and Demirer G.N., 2018. Coupled nutrient removal from the wastewater and CO2 biofixation from the flue gas of iron and steel manufacturing, Int. J. Global Warming, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.148–161.
- Ramírez-Arpide F.R., Demirer G.N., Gallegos-Vázquez C., Hernández-Eugenio G., Santoyo-Cortés V.H., Espinosa-Solares T., 2018, Life cycle assessment of biogas production through anaerobic co-digestion of nopal cladodes and dairy cow manure, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 172, pp.2313-2322.
- Uludag-Demirer S- and Demirer G., 2017. “Determination of regional industrial symbiosis opportunities by using relationship mimicking with ESOTA®”, Progress in Industrial Ecology – An International Journal, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.343–360.
- Erguder T.H. and Demirer G.N., 2016. "Organic acid production from the organic fraction of municipal solid waste and cow manure in leaching bed reactors”, Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, Vol. 15, No: 11, 24-87-2495.
- Çalıcıoğlu Ö. and Demirer G.N., 2016. “Biogas production from waste microalgal biomass obtained from nutrient removal of domestic wastewater", Waste and Biomass Valorization, Vol. 7, No: 6, 1397–1408.
- Demirer G.N., 2016. “Biogas production from pistachio (Pistacia vera L.) de-hulling waste”, International Journal of Green Energy, Vol. 13, No: 13, 1320-1324.
- Alkaya E. and Demirer G.N., 2016. Minimizing and adding value to seafood processing wastes, Food and Bioproducts Processing, Vol. 100, 195-202.
- Dogan-Subasi E. and Demirer G.N., 2016. Anaerobic digestion of microalgal (Chlorella vulgaris) biomass as a source of biogas and biofertilizer, Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy, Vol. 35, No: 4, 936-941.
- Çelik İ and Demirer G.N., 2015. Biogas production from pistachio (Pistacia vera L.) processing waste, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, Vol. 4, No: 4, 767-772.