Dr. Monfils is a professor of Biology, and Director of the Herbarium (CMC) at Central Michigan University
- B.S., University of Notre Dame, 1992
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, 2003
- Postdoc., Michigan State University, 2004-2005
- Quantitative Biology
- Foundations in Form and Function
- Plants Systematics
- Wetland Plants
- Biodiversity Science
- Conservation and Management
- Invasive Species Biology
- Plant Systematics
Current Research Projects
My lab studies the origin, pattern, and maintenance of biodiversity. We investigate biodiversity and evolution at different hierarchical scales, from the micro- to macroscopic level, and use a range of analytical and molecular techniques. We work extensively with the Central Michigan University Herbarium and the global biodiversity data network. Research in my lab spans several disciplines, including methodologies from systematics, taxonomy, museum science, biodiversity informatics, and field ecology. We have active and on-going collaborative research on the landscape and local drivers of biodiversity in prairie fen ecosystems; including work with the federally endangered Poweshiek skipperling butterfly. We conduct aquatic invasive plant research in an effort to determine best practices for assessing management actions and outcomes, and are currently working on an adaptive management framework for European frog-bit. Future research will include looking at phenological change in prairie fen wetlands, species distribution and predictive habitat modeling of aquatic invasive plants, and effects of plant reproductive strategies on invasive species management.
- Lendemer, J., B. Thiers, A.K. Monfils, J. Zaspel, E.R. Ellwood, A. Bentley, K. Levan, J. Bates, D. Jennings, D. Contreras, L. Lagomarsino, P. Mabee, L. Ford, R. Guralnick, R. Gropp, M. Revelez, N. Cobb, K. Seltmann and M.C. Aime. Submitted October 2019. The Extended Specimen Network: A Strategy to Enhance U.S. Biodiversity Collections, Promote Research and Education. Bioscience. Biz140. Link
- Ellwood, E., J. Sessa, J. Abraham, A Budden, N. Douglas, R. Guralnick, E. Krimmel, T. Langen, D. Linton, M. Phillips, P. Soltis, M. Studer, L. White, J. Williams, and A.K. Monfils. 2019. Biodiversity Science and the 21st Century Workforce Bioscience. Biz147 Link
- Belitz, MW*, MJ. Monfils, DL Cuthrell, AK Monfils. 2019. Landscape-level environmental stressors contributing to the decline of Poweshiek skipperling (Oarisma poweshiek) Insect Conservation and Diversity. Link
- Hackett, R.A.*, M.W. Belitz,* E. E. Gilbert6, and A.K. Monfils,. 2019. A data management workflow of biodiversity data from the field to data users. Applications in Plant Science. Link
- Pogue, C.W.*, M.J. Monfils, D.L. Cuthrell, R.A. Hackett*, R.A. Zionce*, and A.K. Monfils. 2019. Local and landscape level variables related to Poweshiek skipperling presence in Michigan, USA prairie fens. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management. Link
- Pogue, C.W., M.J.
Monfils, D.L. Cuthrell, R.A. Hackett, R.A. Zionce, and A.K. Monfils. 2019. Local and landscape level variables related to Poweshiek skipperling presence in Michigan, USA prairie fens.
Journal of Fish and Wildlifehttps://www.fwspubs.org/doi/pdf/10.3996/122018-JFWM-117
- Belitz, M.W., M.J.
Monfils, D.L. Cuthrell, and A.K. Monfils. 2019. Life history and ecology of the endangered Poweshiek skipperling Oarisma poweshiek in Michigan prairie fens. Journal of Insect Conservation 23(3).
- Belitz, M.W., L. Hendrick, M.J.
Monfils, D.L. Cuthrell, C.J. Marshall, A.Y. Kawahara, N.S. Cobb, J.M. Zaspel, A.M. Horton, S.L. Huber, A.D. Warren, G.A. Forthaus and A.K. Monfils. 2018. Aggregated occurrence records of the federally endangered Poweshiek skipperling (Oarisma poweshiek).
Biodiversity Data Journal 6: e29081.
- Linton, D., A.K.
Monfils, M. Phillips, and E. Ellwood. 2018. The effect of climate change on butterfly phenology.
Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology 13(7).
- Larkin, D.J., A.K.
Monfils, A. Boissezon, R.S. Sleith, P.M. Skawinski, C.H. Welling, B.Cahill, and K.G. Karol. 2018. Biology, ecology, and management of starry stonewort (Nitellopsis obtusa; Characeae): A Red-listed Eurasian green alga invasive in North America.
Aquatic Botany 148
- Glon, H.E., B.W. Heumann, J.R. Carter, J.M. Bartek, and A.K.
Monfils. 2017. The contribution of small collections to species distribution modeling: A case study from Fuireneae (Cyperaceae).
Ecological Informatics 42: 76-78
- Thum, R.A., S. Parks, J.M. McNair, P. Tynning, P. Hausler, L. Chadderton, A. Tucker, and A.K.
Monfils. 2017. Survival and vegetative regrowth of Eurasian and hybrid watermilfoil following operational treatment with auxinic herbicides in Gun Lake, Michigan, USA.
Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 55:103-107.
- Lacey, E.A., T.T. Hammond, R.E. Walsh, K. Bell, S.V. Edwards , E.R. Ellwood, R. Guralnick, S.M. Ickert-Bond, A.R. Mast, J. McCormack, A.K. Monfils , P.S. Soltis, D.E. Soltis, and J.A. Cook. 2017. Climate Change, Collections and the Classroom: Using Big Data to Tackle Big Problems.
Evolution: Education and Outreach 10(2).
- Glon, H.E., D.R. Shiels, E. Linton, J.R. Starr, A.L. Shorkey, S. Fleming, S.K. Lichtenwald. E.R. Schick, D. Pozo, and A.K.
Monfils. 2017. A Five Gene Phylogenetic Study of Fuireneae (Cyperaceae) with a Revision of
Systematic Botany 42(1):26-36.
- Pogue, C.D., M. Monfils, D. Cuthrell, B. Heumann and A.K.
Monfils. 2016. Predictive habitat modeling of the federally endangered Poweshiek skipperling (Oarisma poweshiek) in Michigan.
Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 7(2): 359-368.
- Heumann, B.W., R.A. Hackett, A.K.
Monfils and J. Gross. 2016. The Remote Sensing of Biodiversity. In S. Liang (Ed.),
Comprehensive Remote Sensing (pp). Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Inc.
Monfils, A.K., K.E. Powers, C.J. Marshall, C.T. Martine, J.F. Smith and L. Alan Prather. 2016. Natural History Collections: Teaching about Biodiversity across Time, Space, and Digital Platforms.
Southeastern Naturalist 16(10): 47-57.
- Hackett, R.A., M.J. Monfils and A.K.
Monfils. 2016. Evaluating a sampling protocol for assessing plant diversity in prairie fens.
Wetland Ecology and Management 24(6):609-622.