Dr. Swanson is a professor of Biology at Central Michigan University
- B.S., University of Michigan, 1990
- M.S., University of Idaho, 1993
- Ph.D., Purdue University, 2001
- Concepts in Biology
- Conservation Biology
- Conservation Genetics
- Conservation Genetics
- Molecular Ecology
- Population Dynamics
Current Research Projects
The primary research interest in my lab is using genetics, such as microsatellites and DNA sequences, to answer ecological and conservation related questions. Specifically, the questions my lab is currently focusing on include questions relating to estimating effective populations sizes of small populations, what factors influence rates of loss of genetic variation, interpopulation dispersal rates, and the landscape level factors that influence interpopulation dispersal.
- Torstrom, S., K. Pangle, and B. J. Swanson. 2014. Shedding Subspecies: the influence of genetics on reptile subspecies taxonomy. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 76: 134-143.
- Steinwald, M. C., B. J. Swanson, J. R. Doyle, and P. M. Waser. 2013. Female mobility and the mating system of the banner-tailed kangaroo rat. Journal of Mammalogy 94: 1258-1265
- Martinez-Bakker, M.E., S.K. Sell, B.J. Swanson; B.P. Kelly, D.A. Tallmon. 2013. Combined genetic and telemetry data reveal high rates of gene flow, migration, and long-distance dispersal potential in Arctic ringed seals (Pusa hispida). PLoS ONE 8(10): e77125.doi10.1371/journal.pone.0077125
- Sundaram, M., J. R. Willoughby, and B. J. Swanson. 2013. Indirect evidence of prey-switching in minks: empirical evidence, theoretical modeling, and spatial drivers. Journal of Mammalogy 69: 186 - 198.
- Willoughby, J. R. , Sundaram, M., Lewis, T. L., and Bradley J. Swanson. 2013. Population decline in a long lived species: the wood turtle in Michigan. Herpetologica 69: 186-198.
- Dresser, C. and B. J. Swanson. 2013. Preemptive legislation inhibits the anthropogenic spread of rusty crayfish (Orconectes rusticus). Biological Invasions 15: 1049-1056
- Ray, J. W., R. B. King, M. R. Duvall, J. W. Robinson, C. P. Jaeger, M. J. Dreslik, B. J. Swanson, D. Mulkerin. 2013. Eastern massasauga, Sistrurus catenatus, mitochondrial DNA population structure and captive breeding program design. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 4: 104 – 113.
- Kierepka, E. M., E. K. Latch, and B. J. Swanson. 2012. Influence of sampling scheme on the inference of sex-biased gene flow in the American badger (Taxidea taxus). Canadian Journal of Zoology 90: 1231-1242.
- Ethier, D. M., A. Laflèche, B. J. Swanson, J. J. Nocera, and C. J. Kyle. 2012. Population subdivision and peripheral isolation in American badgers (Taxidea taxus): implications for conservation planning in Canada. Canadian Journal of Zoology 90: 630 – 639.
- Cain, C. M., T. M. Livieri, and B. J. Swanson . 2011. Genetic evaluation of a reintroduced population of black-footed ferrets (Mustela nigripes). Journal of Mammalogy 92: 751-759
- O'Neil, E. and B. J. Swanson. 2010. Using track-plate footprints in fisher mark-recapture population estimation. American Midland Naturalist 164: 165 – 171.