Dr. Colores is a professor of Biology at Central Michigan University
- B.S., Northern Arizona University, 1991
- Ph.D., University of Colorado, 1998
- Postdoctoral Research, Montana State University, 1998-2002
- Concepts of Biology
- Environmental Contaminants
- Microbial Ecology
- Biology of Bacteria
Current Research Projects
I am primarily interested in the microbial ecology of natural and human impacted environments. My research involves the use of a combination of microbiological approaches (molecular biology, physiology, ecology) and an appreciation of soil chemistry. Most of my work to date involves microorganisms that have the ability to degrade toxic compounds.
- Soil organic matter-driven selection of atrazine-degrading microbial populations
- Influence of chemical mixtures on microbial populations
- Hydrocarbon-degrading microorganisms in Yellowstone National Park
- Competitive fitness among isolates enriched with variations in phenanthrene bioavailability
- Molecular detection of cyanobacteria from a grassland alvar
Colores, G.M., D.M. Ward and W.P. Inskeep. 2007. Competitive fitness of isolates enriched on phenanthrene sorbed to model phases. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73:4074-4077.
- Vibber, L.L., M.J. Pressler and G.M.
Colores. 2007. Isolation and characterization of atrazine-degrading microorganisms from an agricultural soil. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 75:921-928.
Colores, G.M. and S.K. Schmidt. 2005. Recovery of microbially-mediated processes in remediated soil. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 24:1912-1917.
Colores, G.M., R.E. Macur, D.M. Ward and W.P. Inskeep. 2000. Molecular analysis of microbial population shifts in soil as a function of surfactant application. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66:2959-2964.
Colores, G.M. and S.K. Schmidt. 1999. Colonization of contaminated soil by an introduced bacterium: effects of initial pentachlorophenol levels on the survival of Sphingomonas chlorophenolica strain RA2. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 23:326- 331.
Colores, G.M., S.K. Schmidt and M.C. Fisk. 1996. Estimating the biomass of microbial functional groups using rates of growth-related soil respiration. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 28:1569-1577.
- Hess, T.F., S.K. Schmidt and G.M.
Colores. 1996. Maintenance energy model for microbial degradation of toxic chemicals in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 28:907-915.
Colores, G.M., P.M. Radehaus and S.K. Schmidt. 1995. Use of a pentachlorophenol degrading bacterium to bioremediate highly contaminated soil. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 54:271-275.
- Schmidt, S.K., G.M.
Colores, T.F. Hess and P.M. Radehaus. 1995. A simple method for quantifying activity and survival of microorganisms involved in bioremediation processes. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 54:259-270.