Dr. Kourtev is a professor of Biology at Central Michigan University
- B.S., Sofia University, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1994
- Ph.D., Rutgers University, 2001
- Posdoctoral Position, Cook College, Rutgers University, 2001-2002
- Posdoctoral Position, Purdue University, 2002-2006
- Introductory Biology
- Introduction to Microbiology
- Soil Science
- Bacterial Diversity
- Global Change Biology
Current Research Projects
I am interested in the the structure of microbial communities, how they are shaped by a variety of biotic and abiotic factors and how they are related to microbial community functions.
My applied research program has been in these areas:
- Microbial community in the rhizosphere of invasive plant species
- Interactions between microbial communities and toxic metals
- Microbial diversity in the gut of wild ruminants
- Microbial diversity in the pitchers of the Northern pitcher plant ( Sarracenia purpurea)
- Isolating previously uncultured bacteria
Research is currently being conducted in my lab to describe pollen grain diversity across the Brassicaceae. Trends in pollen evolution will be examined relative to recent advances in phylogenetic reconstruction and tribal classifications within the family. Pollen morphological data from scanning electron and light microscopy will be used to examine pollen evolutionary patterns and correlated floral evolution across the Brassicaceae.
- Zlamal, J. and
Kourtev, P.S. (2008). Impact of the invasive plant autumn olive ( Elaeagnus umbellata) on soil microbial communities.
- Weaver, M. and
Kourtev, P.S. (2008). Characterization of the bacterial community in the pitchers of the northern pitcher plant ( Sarracenia purpurea) using PCR-DGGE.
Kourtev, P.S., Konopka, A. and Nakatsu, C.H. (2008) Inhibition of nitrate reduction by Cr(VI) in soil microcosms.
Appl. Environ. Microbiol.
- Hill, K.A., Shepson, P.B., Galbavy, E.S., Anastasio, C.,
Kourtev, P.S., Konopka, A. and Stirm, B.H. (2007). Processing of atmospheric nitrogen by clouds above a forest environment.
J. Geophys. Res-Atmos., 112: D11301.
Kourtev, P.S., Konopka, A. and Nakatsu, C.H. (2006). Responses of the anaerobic bacterial community to the addition of organic C in chromium(VI)- and iron(III)-amended microcosms Appl.
Environ. Microbiol., 72: 628-637.