Q: What training does a veterinarian receive?

A: A veterinarian holds a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine, D.V.M., which is an applied degree equivalent to an M.D. A practicing veterinarian has also passed State Board Examinations.

Q: How does one obtain a D.V.M.

A: The D.V.M. is awarded after the successful completion of fours years of specific training in a College of Veterinary Medicine.

Q: Where are Colleges of Veterinary Medicine?

A: Most states that have Land Grant Universities have a College of Veterinary Medicine. In Michigan the Land Grant University is Michigan State University. Some states also have private Veterinary Schools.

Q: How many years does it take to prepare for Vet School?

A: That depends on how extensive your high school preparation was. Although some outstanding applicants with considerable high school preparation will be competitive for admission after 2-3 (e.g., MSU) or 3 (e.g., Tufts) full academic years in an accredited college or university, the majority successful candidates will have earned bachelor’s or higher degrees prior to enrolling.

Q: What courses should I take in high school if I want to be a vet?

A. To prepare for college-level preveterinary courses, you should complete a college-preparatory curriculum that includes: At least 1½ years of algebra, one year of geometry, and ½ year of trigonometry One year each of chemistry, biology, and physics Academic core subjects, including English (writing and literature), social sciences, history, and any other subjects required by your high school and by the college(s) you plan to attend.

Q: What course work should I take at CMU to prepare for application for admission to Vet School?

A: Click here

Q: What should I major in while pursuing pre-veterinary studies at CMU?

A: That is up to you as long as you satisfy the course pre-requisites for admission to Vet School, which are dominated by science courses. Many, if not most, of our pre-vet students choose to major in Biology and minor in Chemistry. If you would like to major in Biology at CMU the Pre-Vet Advisor, who is Biology faculty, can sign your major. If you wish to major in another discipline, then the major would be signed in that department. The Pre-Vet advisor would continue to advise you on your pre-veterinary studies regardless of your signed major.

Q: What classes should I sign up for my first year at CMU?

A: Click here

Q: Should I go in-state or out-of-state for Vet School?

A: State schools receive substantial funding from the state, in return they reserve a significant proportion of available "seats" for residents. Therefore your chances of being accepted are greatest in the state in which you hold residence. However, the truly outstanding students always have their pick. Most of our students apply to MSU.

Q: Can I transfer into the Veterinary Program at Michigan State?

A: No. Admission to the Professional Program in Veterinary Medicine is a highly selective process and you must be accepted into the program after completing all pre-requisite coursework and examinations. You may transfer to MSU to do your pre-veterinary studies however.

Q: Would it be better for me to transfer to MSU to do my pre-veterinary studies?

A: CMU provides a competitive program of pre-veterinary study that fulfills the pre-requisites for admission to MSU's professional degree program. MSU does not preferentially accept students who have done their pre-veterinary studies at MSU so transferring to MSU does not provide an advantage as far as admissions is concerned.

Q: How does MSU select applicants for admission?

A: Michigan State’s College of Veterinary Medicine desires to be the preeminent veterinary college in the Midwest. Therefore their selection process is very competitive. MSU follows a 5 step selection process which is described here.

Q: What examinations should I take prior to applying to Vet School?

A: Scores from the GRE must be submitted at the time of application to a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program. (MSU will accept either the GRE or the MCAT)

Q: What other experiences should I have to be competitive for admission to Vet School?

A: Veterinary Exposure: Applicants will be expected to have basic, general knowledge of the veterinary profession gained from working or volunteering with a veterinarian. 240 hours minimum is required by MSU. The veterinarians with whom the applicant worked may be asked to verify a work log. Also, one letter of recommendation should come from a veterinarian with whom the applicant has had considerable experience.

Animal Exposure: The expectation for animal exposure is separate from veterinary-related exposure and is evaluated in terms of basic knowledge. Areas in which applicants may gain exposure to animals include racetracks, clinics/hospitals, stables, zoos, kennels, and laboratories. Animal exposure should entail more than the routine care and feeding of companion animals or family pets.