I hold a degree in Licenciatura in Ciencias Geologicas (1994) and Doctor en Geologia (1997) from Universidad Nacional del Sur, Bahia Blanca, Argentina. My research focuses on the genesis and geochemistry of hysdrothermal ore deposits and geothermobarometry of fluid inclusions. Most recently I have been focused on developing and implementing new ways of teaching Earth Sciences, introducing Active Learning and student center methodologies across all the classes I teach at Central.
I have been part of the EAS department since 2005, as a Fixed Term Faculty and most recently as Lecturer III. Here at CMU I teach: Introduction to Earth Systems (GEL 100), Physical Geology (GEL 101, Physical Geology Lab (GEL 102) Earth Processes (GEL 130 QR), Introduction to Mineralogy (GEL 310), Earth Materials (GEL 320), Petrology of Igneous and Metamorphic Rocks (GEL 321) and Dangerous Planet (GEL 105).
2015 Co-recipient European Severe Storms Laboratory Heini Tooming Award
- 1994 Licenciatura in Ciencias Geologicas - Universidad Nacional del Sur, Bahia Blanca, Argentina
- 1997 Doctor en Geologia - Universidad Nacional del Sur, Bahia Blanca, Argentina
My research focuses on the genesis and geochemistry of hydrothermal ore deposits and geothermobarometry of fluid inclusions. Most recently I have been developing and implementing new ways of teaching Earth Sciences, introducing Active Learning and student centered methodologies across all the classes I teach at CMU.
- GEL 100 - Introduction to Earth Systems
- GEL 101 - Physical Geology
- GEL 102 - Physical Geology Lab
- GEL 105 – Dangerous Planet
- GEL 130QR - Earth Processes (GEL 130 QR)
- GEL 310 - Introduction to Mineralogy
- GEL 320 - Earth Materials
- GEL 312 - Petrology of Igneous and Metamorphic Rocks
Selected Publications Click here for a complete list of publications
- Benison K. and M. M.
Gonzalez (2007) Sedimentology of two acid saline lakes in the high Andes of northern Chile; Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 39, 433.
- K. C. Benison, B. B. Bowen, R. M. Foster, E. A. Jagniecki, D. A. LaClair, J. Walker, M. M.
Gonzales,M. C. Sirbescu, J. J. Student, S. L. Story, F. Oboh-Ikuenobe, B. Hong, M. R. Mormile, M. Storrie-Lombardi, and S. S. Johnson (2007) Field Observations and Lab Tests of Acid Brines: Implications for Past Deposition, Diagenesis, Erosion, and Life on Mars; Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Mars (2007, Pasadena, CA), Lunar and Planetary Institute.