Summer tutoring for mathematics and statistics will be offered online by the Mathematics Assistance Center via WebEx on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays 5pm-8pm. This will run through Thursday, August 13th. [We will be closed on Monday, May 25th for the Memorial Day holiday, however.]
To access online tutoring, go to: cmich.webex.com/meet/mathac
You can also email the MAC at MathAC@cmich.edu
Seek help as early as possible; the closer it is to popular exam times, the busier we get. We CANNOT help you with quizzes or tests; we can help with homework, reviewing examples from notes, etc.
Get math assistance with CMU's Mathematics Assistance Center (MAC). Tutors can help with everything from basic algebra to intermediate-level statistics. With help from tutors, you will learn how to clarify new information, demonstrate problem-solving skills and work through example problems.
Tutoring for On-Campus Students
Park Library, Room 370
MTH 101-233 and above
Troutman Hall, Room 002
Park Library, Room 370
Tutoring for other courses is possible depending on demand and availability of tutors. For more information call 774-2290 or email MathAC@cmich.edu|
- Don't wait! Visit the MAC-LIBRARY OR MAC-TOWERS as soon as you need help. There is no need to schedule an appointment. All math tutoring is on a walk-in basis.
- When you arrive, sign in to the binder. Please complete all information legibly.
- Prepare for tutoring sessions by attending class, reading the textbook, reviewing your class notes, attempting homework problems and writing down your questions before arriving.
- Bring your textbook, syllabus, notes, calculator and any attempted work with you.
The purpose of tutoring is to give you additional help and explanation for mathematical concepts being taught in your courses. Tutors will not help you do entire homework sets assigned by your instructor, but they will give you help on a few select problems.
CAN expect tutors to:
- Work with you as soon as possible after you arrive.
- Answer questions and help clarify new information.
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills.
- Work through example problems.
CANNOT expect tutors to:
- Do your homework assignment for you.
- Substitute as your instructor when you have missed class.
- Know all the answers to every question.
- Substitute for your own hard work.
You are welcome to come as many hours as you wish to receive help. Tutoring really does help! A student who attends the math center regularly has a 60% higher chance of receiving a grade C or better in their math course. Many students have found tutoring to be extremely beneficial and return for more help with other mathematics courses.
Tutoring services are available via the internet, telephone and email for students registered in Online/Off-Campus Programs courses only.
Tutoring is free and simple to obtain. If you are in an online/off-campus course, MAC 000 should appear in your course list on Blackboard. (If this does not appear, click here to request to be added). In the MAC 000 Blackboard shell is an announcement detailing all of the options for getting assistance. Please contact the MAC toll-free at 1-800-950-1144 x2290 if you have questions with the online registration form.
Tutors are essential to the success of the Mathematics Assistance Center. If you are interested in becoming a tutor, you should be able to:
- Answer a student's questions thoroughly
- Help clarify course material
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills
- Work through example problems with students
- Attend tutor training sessions as necessary
Qualifications and requirements
To become a tutor at the Mathematics Assistance Center, you must meet the following requirements:
- Completed college mathematics courses through at least Calculus II
- Earned an A or A- in the majority of your math courses
- Maintained a cumulative GPA or 3.0 or higher
When positions are available, the director of the Mathematics Assistance Center will set up interviews with qualified applicants.
To have a completed application file, you must:
Department of Mathematics
Central Michigan University
ATTN: Reggie Becker
Pearce Hall 214
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859