Dr. Mellinger is a professor in the Department of Physics at Central Michigan University.
- Habilitation, Department of Physics, University of Potsdam, 2005
- Ph.D., Physics, Max-Planck Institut für extraterrestrische Physik, Garching, Germany, 1995
- Physics Diploma, Technische Universität München, 1992
- Ferroelectret polymers: new concepts for piezoelectric sensors and actuators
- Non-destructive 3D space-charge and polarization tomography
- Polymer-dispersed liquid crystals with ferroelectric host polymers
- Microscopic mechanisms of charge storage in electret polymers
- Photo- and thermally stimulated discharge currents in charge-storing fluorinated and cycloolefin polymers
- Dielectric barrier discharges in ferroelectret polymers. Ferroelectrets (i.e., charged cellular polymers) are rendered piezoelectric by means of barrier discharges inside the air-filled voids. Unlike traditional piezoceramics, they are mechanically flexible and can be manufactured to cover large areas. However, much remains to be learned about the microscopic processes of charging and charge-trapping. Achieving this goal requires a multi-technique approach, combining spectroscopic plasma diagnostics with space-charge mapping and electromechanical characterization techniques.
Non-destructive 3D space-charge and polarization tomography. The ability to accurately and non-destructively measure polarization and space-charge distributions is of prime importance in the research on electrets and organic electronics. Applications include the accumulation of space charge in high-voltage cable insulations, the development and optimization of pyroelectric and piezoelectric sensors, and basic research into the mechanisms of charge storage in electret polymers.
- S. S. Parizi, G. Conley, T. Costanzo, B. Howell, A.
Mellinger and G. Caruntu, "Fabrication of barium titanate/acrylonitrile-butadiene styrene/poly(methyl methacrylate) nanocomposite films for hybrid ferroelectric capacitors",
RSC Adv. 5, 76356 (2015).
- G. Liu, M. Alomari, B. Sahin, S. E. Snelgrove, J. Edwards, A.
Mellinger and T. Kaya, "Real-time sweat analysis via alternating current conductivity of artificial and human sweat", Appl.
Phys. Lett. 106, 133702 (2015).
- S. S. Parizi, A.
Mellinger and G. Caruntu, "Ferroelectric Barium Titanate Nanocubes as Capacitive Building Blocks for Energy Storage Applications",
Appl. Mat. Interf. 6, 17506−17517 (2014).
- R. Singh and A.
Mellinger, "Measurement of through-thickness thermal diffusivity of thermoplastics using thermal wave method",
Indian J. Phys., DOI 10.1007/s12648-014-0579-2 (2014).
- S. Harris and A.
Mellinger, "Towards a better understanding of dielectric barrier discharges in ferroelectrets: Paschen breakdown fields in micrometer sized voids",
J. Appl. Phys. 115, 163302 (2014).
- S. Aryal and A.
Mellinger, "Resolution-enhanced polarization imaging with focused thermal pulses",
J. Appl. Phys. 114, 154109 (2013).
- M. Al-Omari, K. Sel, A. Mueller, A.
Mellinger and T. Kaya, "The effect of Na+ and K+ doping on the properties of sol-gel deposited 2-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone thin films",
J. Appl. Phys. 113, 204901 (2013).
- S. Harris and A.
Mellinger, "Simulation of Space Charge Deposition by Barrier Discharges in Piezoelectric Polymer Foams,"
Appl. Phys. A 107, 553-558 (2012).
Mellinger and R. Stoyan, "The Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas," ISBN 978-1107013469,
Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Mellinger and O. Mellinger, "Breakdown Threshold of Dielectric Barrier Discharges in Ferroelectrets: Where Paschen's Law Fails," IEEE Trans. Diel. Electr. Insul. 18(1), 43-48 (2011).
- X. Qiu, R. Gerhard and A. Mellinger, "Turning Polymer Foams or Polymer-Film Systems into Ferroelectrets: Dielectric Barrier Discharges in the Voids,"
IEEE Trans. Diel. Electr. Insul., 18(1), 34-42 (2011).
Mellinger, “A Color All-Sky Panorama Image of the Milky Way”,
Publ. Astron. Soc. Pacific 121, 1180-1187 (2009).