Dr. Yang is a professor in the Department of Physics at Central Michigan University.
- Ph.D., Physics, Tsinghua University, 2010
- B.S., Physics, Tianjin University, 2005
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
- Quantum materials, in which the interactions between the constituent particles cannot be treated in a semi-classical manner, exhibit exotic electronic and magnetic properties. Examples include unconventional superconductors, multiferroics, topological insulator, quantum spin liquid and spin jam. Quantum materials have enormous potential to revolutionize energy-related technologies, storage and processing of data, as well as the next-generation computing. Research in this field is fast moving and exciting. In our lab, we focus on questions framed around cutting edge challenges for the synthesis of quantum materials and the characterization of their bulk properties:
- Synthesis: Use flux, chemical vapor transport, Bridgman and hydrothermal method to grow high quality single crystals of quantum materials.
- Characterization: Use the state-of-the-art facility (PPMS Dynacool) in our lab for basic characterization. Also use large facilities at national labs, such as X-ray and neutron scattering, to study the structure and dynamics of quantum materials.
J. Yang, C. Duan, Q. Huang, C. Brown, J. Neuefeind, Despina Louca "Strong correlations between vacancy and magnetic ordering in superconducting K0.8Fe2−ySe2", Phys. Rev. B 94, 024503 (2016).
- Junjie Yang, Anjana Samarakoon, Sachith Dissanayake, Hiroaki Ueda, Israel Klich, Kazuki Iida, Daniel Pajerowski, Nicholas P. Butch, Q. Huang, John R. D. Copley, and Seunghun Lee "spin jam induced by quantum fluctuations in a frustrated magnet", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 112, 11519 (2015).
- J. J. Yang, Y. J. Choi, Y. S. Oh, A. Hogan, Y. Horibe, K. Kim, B. I. Min, and S-W. Cheong, "Charge-Orbital Density Wave and Superconductivity in the Strong Spin-Orbit Coupled IrTe2:Pd", Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 116402 (2012). (Editors' suggestion).
- J. J. Yang, Y. G. Zhao, H. F. Tian, L. B. Luo, H. Y. Zhang, Y. J. He and H. S. Luo, "Electric field manipulation of magnetization at room temperature in multiferroic CoFe2O4/Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)0.7Ti0.3O3 heterostructures", Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 212504 (2009).