Dr. Osborn was a Professor of Physics at Central Michigan University from 1976-2007.
- A.B. Astronomy (1964) - University of California, Berkeley, CA
- M.A. Astronomy (1967) - Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT
- M.S., Ph.D. Astronomy (1971) - Yale University, New Haven, CT
Dr. Osborn's research interests are in observational astronomy. Current research projects involve photometric studies of variable stars in globular clusters. He is also involved in national and international efforts to preserve astronomical photographic plates. Osborn is the author or co-author of over 60 refereed scientific papers plus various book articles, research notes, abstracts, and book reviews. His research has involved observations with the Hubble Space Telescope as well as at ground-based observatories in the U.S. and abroad.
- S. Gollapudy, W. Osborn: Observations of the Suspected Variable Ross 114 (NSV 13523). Journal AAVSO 47, 3, 2019
- W. Osborn, G. Kopacki, H. A. Smith, et al.: Variable Stars in M13. III. The Cepheid Variables and their Relation to Evolutionary Changes in Metal-poor BL Her Stars. Acta Astronomica, 69, 101-133, 2019
- J. Lattis, W. Osborn, J. L. Bartlett, et al.: Preservation of Our Astronomical Heritage, State of the Profession White Paper 21 for Astro2020. Bull Amer. Astron. Soc., 51, issue 7, id 21, 2019
- V. F. Polcaro, O. Marveva, R. Nesci, M. Calabresi, A. Chieffi, S. Galleti, R. Gualandi, O. F. Mills, W. H.
Osborn, A. Pasquali, C. Rossi, T. Vasilveva, R.F. Viotti: GR 290 (Romano's Star). II. Light History and Evolutionary State.
Astronomical Journal 151, 149-162, 2016.
Osborn, E. E. Barnard: Early 20th-century visual observations of M13 Variable Stars.
The Observatory 136, 168-179, 2016.
Osborn, A. Layden, G. Kopacki, H. Smith, M. Anderson, A. Kelly, K. McBride, B. Pritzl: Variable Stars in M13. II. The Red Variables and the Globular Cluster Period-Luminosity Relation.
I Acta Astronomica 67, 131-158, 2017.
Osborn, O. F. Mills: Additional Observations of the 1943 Eclipse of TYC 2505-672-1.
Information Bulletin on Variable Stars No. 6197, 2017.
- S. Raymond, X. Morales, W.
Osborn: New Observations of AD Ser.
Journal AAVSO 45, 167, 2017.