Looking back. Building forward.

​​​June 27, 2014, marked the end of an era with the completion of the demolition of the Washington Court Apartments. Initially constructed with nine buildings — three, three-building clusters each built in a "U"-shaped footprint — the apartments first opened for occupancy as family apartments in 1957.

Entrances faced the interior courtyard with a vestibule stairway that led up to the second floor units.

Buildings were designated with letters H-J-K, L-M-N and O-P-Q from east to west, and followed the sequence of Preston Court Apartments, A-B-C-D in 1954 (demolished in 1995) and E-F-G in 1956 (demolished in 1999).

In 1962, CMU added two more buildings, designated as HH and NN, which closed in two of the clusters and formed a quad footprint. In 1966, the last building, R, was added to the O-P-Q buildings and formed the last "quad."

The historical sequence of events include the years of:

  • 2007, when buildings L-M-N-NN were demolished to make room for the Education and Human Services Building;
  • 2009, when O-P-Q-R were demolished to make room for Lot 56; and
  • 2014, when H-J-K-HH were demolished to make room for the Biosciences Building.

A $95 million building and the largest capital project ever in CMU's 120-plus year history, the Biosciences Building will address the escalating student demand and need for flexible, state-of-the-art research and learning spaces that will house the laboratories, instruments and teaching facilities essential for modern bioscience programs. Construction on the 169​,000-square-foot building will be completed in September​ 2016.

Strides continue to be made in CMU's many other summer construction projects, including:

Dow Active-Learning Classrooms — improved teaching and learning facilities where faculty serve as coaches while students spend class time problem solving.

  • Final work is being completed and site inspections are scheduled for next week.

East Utility Loop upgrade — a new utility loop that is being added to the university's steam and condensate system to improve its reliability and meet c​urrent and future capacity demands.

  • By July 11, all direct buried steam and condensate piping will be installed, pressure tested​ and inspected.
Moore Hall upgrades and Grawn Hall Bloomberg Terminal — a variety of lighting, flooring and ceiling work is ongoing.​

CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY

1200 S. Franklin St • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859
Phone: 989-774-4000