New Options for Spring 2020

Back to Home

Our commitment is to support you in your continued success at Central Michigan University. The following temporary provisions have been put in place to recognize the unprecedented challenges occurring due to the COVID-19 period during the Spring 2020 semester. You have a number of options to consider as you complete your course and semester requirements. Please consult your academic advisor, instructors and college departments to make the most appropriate decision for you and your program.

New Grading Options for Spring 2020

  1. You can withdraw from one or more of your courses through May 20, 2020. Follow current withdrawal procedures.
  2. You can request to change one or more courses to Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) through May 20, 2020.

  • Please speak to your academic advisor before making a decision about moving to the Credit/No Credit option. You can find your advisor and make an appointment by visiting the Academic Advising webpage.
  • This option is available on a course by course basis: This means that students can choose to change one, none, all or any combination of their current courses to Credit/No Credit.
  • Instructors are not notified when you elect the credit/no credit option. Instructors assign a letter grade, which is then automatically converted to credit or no credit.
    • Grades of C or better receive credit and will appear on your transcript with the grade of "CR."
    • Grade below C (including C-) will be assigned no credit. This means no credit has been earned and the class will not count toward your degree requirements.
    • Grades of CR and NC have no effect on your GPA.
  • Courses taken CR/NC will not count toward the 25-credit hour maximum that can be applied to a degree or the maximum of seven credit hours that can be applied to University Program requirements. Please review the Undergraduate Credit/No Credit policy in the CMU Bulletin.

3 Steps to Change to Credit/ No Credit

  • 1

    Talk with your academic advisor

    Choosing to take a class CR/NC may impact your degree progress, certification or licensure programs. Your academic advisor can help you understand these implications. The following CR/NC policy regulations remain in effect for Spring 2020:

    • Courses taken for “Credit” will count toward a degree when a grade of ‘C’ or better is earned but will not be used to calculate your cumulative grade point average (GPA). Professors have been asked to be ready to tell you your estimated grade by April 25.
    • If you are repeating a class this semester, and you switch that course to Credit/No Credit, the letter grade you previously earned will not be used in your GPA.
  • 2

    Consider your financial aid

    Choosing to take a class CR/NC may impact your financial aid: Grades in Credit/No Credit courses can impact your satisfactory academic progress standing for federal financial aid.

    Please contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to determine if your financial aid package will be impacted by changing a course to Credit/No Credit.

  • 3

    Complete Credit/No Credit Form

    If you choose to change a class from a grade to CR/NC, you must complete the Credit/No Credit Form and submit the form via email to by May 20, 2020. The form will be available beginning April 25 on the Registrar's website. You can visit the page now to learn more about the Credit/No Credit option.

    CR/NC requests submitted between March 11th – 11:59 p.m., May 20th, may be cancelled by the student.

    After 11:59 p.m., May 20th, all submitted requests and otherwise graded Spring 2020 courses will be considered final grades and are not appealable or reversible.

Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid

Seek help with the transition to online classes.