Elementary Education Program
Hometown: Waterford, Mich.
Meet Mariel, who has spent the spring semester as a student teacher for a 4th grade class at Ganiard Elementary School. Mariel is going into elementary education to be a teacher for young children, but she hopes to use her love for the performing arts to get her students excited about learning.
Mariel chose CMU to pursue her elementary education degree because of its national prominence in the field. “In these courses, you soak up so much knowledge. When you get in the classroom, that’s when it gets real. That’s when you really get excited.”
Choosing a career to be passionate about. “I love working with younger children. It’s really exciting to see such potential in young people.”
Getting ready for tomorrow. “I think the education program does a great job of preparing students for the job search and getting out in the field.”
It all pays off. “I love when the students are excited to learn something new. They teach me just the same as I teach them.”
CMU takes education from one classroom to another
Highlights of CMU’s elementary education program include:
- Statewide student-teaching centers, options to pre-student teach in Mexico, and to student teach for eight-weeks in England, Ghana, Australia or the Dominican Republic
- Ten student education organizations offer mentorship, leadership and professional development, each year all ten offer a state conference and 600 students from all over Michigan gather to learn
- Cutting edge Education & Human Services Building that features the latest technology, creative instructional media lab, student centered study rooms with exercise walking machines and an art gallery
- Two Math, Science and Technology Learning Centers that partner students with faculty to offer workshops and programs to families
- The most teacher education alumni in Michigan
Learn more about CMU's
College of Education and Human Services!