The Office for Institutional Diversity's mission is to:
- Foster an inclusive and welcoming campus environment
- Provide educational experiences for students, faculty, and staff
that enhances their cultural competence and global perspectives
- Provide leadership in the development of university policies and practices that advance diversity
- Monitor progress of CMU's diversity programs and initiatives, i.e. recruitment and retention
- Provide opportunities for CMU community members to dialogue on diversity
- Increase college access and services for underserved communities and populations
The Office for Institutional Diversity envisions CMU as an inclusive
environment where diversity is valued as a wonderful source of fresh and
new perspectives and embraced as an important ingredient to success in
every area of life. CMU strives to be a leading exemplary university
that encourages other universities around the country to achieve
excellence through inclusion. We envision diversity to be an important
aspect of what makes CMU unique and the right place to be.
But what do we mean by diversity and inclusion?
Individual differences (e.g., personality, learning styles, and life
experiences) and group/social differences (e.g., race/ethnicity, class,
gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, physical ability, and
cultural, political, religious or other affiliations) that can be
engaged in the service of learning.
- Inclusion: The active, intentional, and ongoing
engagement with diversity - in people, in the curriculum, in the
co-curriculum, and in communities (intellectual, social, cultural,
geographical) with which individuals might connect - in ways that
increase one's awareness, content knowledge, cognitive sophistication,
and empathic understanding of the complex ways individuals interact
within systems and institutions.