​Central Michigan University would like to thank you for your service to our nation.  As you consider your future, CMU is here to help you successfully pursue your educational endeavors.  Whether you are actively serving in the military, or you are in the reserves, a veteran, or a military family member, we are very proud that you are considering CMU and we look forward to having you join the CMU family.

We are committed to supporting you, as we do all students, while you invest in your education.  As military and veterans students, you have access to a great support system at CMU and a number of valuable resources, which you can find here:  Veterans Resource Center

CMU policies in place for veterans

  • CMU will readmit a service member who must suspend attendance for a short period of time.
  • CMU has a refund policy in place for students who withdraw prior to completing all courses due to military deployment.  
  • CMU recognizes and adheres to the Principles of Excellence   http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-05-02/pdf/2012-10715.pdf

Financial Aid for Veterans and Their Dependents

Information about grants and scholarships for you or family members of military personnel is available on the Federal Student Aid website:https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/military

Additional information about Military related scholarships can be found on our website at http://www.cmich.edu/ess/OSFA/Pages/Military-Scholarships.aspx.

Financial Aid Eligibility

  • In addition to any military benefits you receive, you may qualify for loans or other assistance under Title IV, such as Federal grants, Federal Stafford loans, Federal Parent PLUS, and  Graduate PLUS loans.
  • Federal Pell grant eligibility is dependent on information received from your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 
  • Federal loan amounts are based on your enrollment status and other factors
  • Federal work –study funds can provide an opportunity for students with high need to earn money to assist with their expenses.
  • To apply for Federal grants and loans you must file the annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa 
  • When considering student loans, keep in mind that the terms and conditions of Federal loans may be more favorable than the provisions of private education loans.  https://www.cmich.edu/ess/OSFA/Pages/ALT-LOAN.aspx

Service members Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

 The Service members Civil Relief Act (SCRA)—formerly known as the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act (SSCRA)—has been in existence for decades. In fact, historians can actually trace pieces of this important legislation all the way back to the Civil War. The act itself is complex and pulls together a variety of civil and legal protections into one piece of legislation. There are two critical SCRA benefits which specifically apply to student loans:

  1. Active duty service members are entitled to have all their debt, including student loan interest rates, capped at six percent. The U.S. Department of Education has instructed student loan servicers to search for qualified borrowers, to automatically apply the interest rate reduction to their loans, and to notify qualified borrowers of this change.
  2. Some active duty service members—those who have Direct loans made after October 1, 2008, and who serve in "hostile areas", and who are receiving special pay—can receive a zero percent interest rate on their qualifying Direct loans for up to 60 months. Service members who qualify may apply for this benefit by providing documentation of their current service status to their lender or servicer.

Military personnel who want to verify their eligibility are advised to contact their loan servicer(s) directly for participation requirements. Military personnel who do not qualify for the previously mentioned benefits may be eligible for loan deferment or forbearance.

Education Benefit Programs

  • If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  For example, the Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
  • If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program.  Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling. 
  • If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.
  • If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.   

Federal Shopping Sheet

The federal shopping sheet was created to help students compare college financial aid offers.  CMU has made this tool available through our secure student portal at https://apps.cmich.edu/shoppingsheet.  Other college comparison tools can be found at http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator.