Financial Aid for Study Abroad

    Financial Aid is available for students who participate in a CMU approved study abroad program. However, you must be formally accepted into a study abroad program through the Office of International Education/Study Abroad before aid eligibility can be determined. The Study Abroad advisor will provide you with a budget sheet detailing the costs of your program. This budget sheet, in combination with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be used to calculate how much money you will be awarded for the program you plan to study.  We recommend all students planning to study abroad meet with a financial aid advisor to discuss your financial aid eligibility.

Types of Financial Aid

Financial Aid Checklist

    Use the following checklist to ensure that paperwork has been completed:

    • Complete the FAFSA form or renewal FAFSA
    • Schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor at least one month before you depart.
    • Submit your Office of International Education/Study Abroad Expense Sheet to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
    • If you are borrowing any type of loan, sign and submit all required promissory notes.
    • Direct Deposit for your overpayment of financial aid funds is recommended.​

Frequently Asked Questions

  •  What is the deadline for filing the FAFSA?  The priority deadline is March 1, but for students studying abroad we recommend completing and submitting the application in January. 
  • I am planning to study abroad during the summer semester.  What FAFSA will I file?  The financial aid office uses the FAFSA you filed for the beginning of the academic year for summer.  Therefore, if you received financial aid funds for fall and spring you have already submitted the FAFSA we will use for summer.  Please discuss your summer financial aid options when meeting with the financial aid counselor. 
  • What type of aid can I use to fund my study abroad program?  All federal/state grants and loans can be used to finance study abroad expenses.  Many campus based scholarships can also be used.
  • Are there any types of aid I can’t use?  Some external scholarships may not be used for study abroad.  The department/donor issuing the scholarship will be able to determine if you may use the funds for study abroad.
  • I may need to purchase my plane ticket a month or two before I leave the country.  Can I access my financial aid early to pay for it?  No.  According to federal regulations, financial aid can only be disbursed 10 days prior to the start of the academic semester.
  • Will my grants/scholarships be increased for study abroad?  No.  Grants and scholarships have a maximum amount per semester that a student can receive.   However, you may be eligible to apply for additional scholarships because you are participating in a study abroad program.   You will find a list of these scholarships posted on the study abroad web site.
  • My study abroad program costs more than what it costs to attend Central Michigan University.  Can I get more financial aid to cover my study abroad costs?  The financial aid office can increase your cost of attendance so that you may apply for additional PLUS or private loan funds.  Unfortunately, we cannot offer an increase in grants or scholarships you may be receiving.
  • How do I schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor?  Financial aid counselor appointments can be scheduled by calling the financial aid office at 989-774-3674.  The student service court can also schedule an appointment for you.  The student service court is located in the Bovee University Center 119.