This notice provides information about asbestos-containing materials on the Central Michigan University campus.  Asbestos is a common name for naturally occurring minerals that were historically added to a wide variety of building construction materials such as plaster, floor tile, tile adhesive, and pipe insulation.  Asbestos was used to protect life and property because of its excellent heat insulating and fire retardant properties.  Although it is no longer widely used in new construction and building remodels/renovations, it is still present in campus buildings.

Asbestos is only a hazard when small particles become airborne and are inhaled or ingested.  Asbestos-containing materials in buildings pose no risk to health unless the materials are disturbed and the asbestos fibers are released into the air.  Intact, sealed, and undisturbed materials are not a hazard.

All renovations of campus buildings are reviewed in advance by the University to ensure that no asbestos-containing materials are disturbed without proper safeguards to protect people in the area.  Work that requires removal or repair of asbestos-containing material or the testing of suspect building products is restricted to trained and qualified personnel only.

We ask that you help us maintain a healthy and safe environment.  Even though there is only a minimal risk of exposure, please observe the following simple rules:

  • Building materials including plaster, floor tile, tile adhesives, linoleum, and pipe insulation may contain asbestos.  Therefore, do not remove, cut, drill, sand, grind or otherwise disturb any material of this type.
  • Do not tape or glue carpet, rugs, mats, etc. to floor tile or linoleum.
  • Do not pull up or removeany carpet, as asbestos flooring may be present underneath.
  • Do not enter building spaces such as attics and crawl spaces.  Only trained maintenance personnel may enter.
  • Do not install screws, pins, nails, or hangers into textured ceiling plaster. 
  • Be careful not to damage walls, ceilings, or floors when moving furniture or equipment.
  • Do not brush, sweep, or vacuum textured ceiling plaster or plaster debris.
  • Do not hit, puncture, or hang items from insulated (wrapped) pipes.
  • Report damaged building materials to your Resident Hall Director immediately. A staff member will be sent to examine the situation and take corrective action if necessary.

For more information about CMU’s Asbestos Program, please visit the Environmental Health and Safety website If you hav​e any questions about the above information please contact Jeff Suty, Environmental Coordinator, Environmental Health & Safety at 989-774-7398.​