Length of Appointment: October through August
General Statement of Duties
Under general direction, work in collaboration
with nineteen core staff members, two staff assistants, two graduate
assistants, an assistant and associate director to develop, advise, select, and
train the Leadership Safari conference staff. Performs a variety of logistical,
organizational, outreach, and marketing while contributing toward the
assessment of developed leadership learning outcomes. Core staff will play an
integral role in fostering an environment of inclusivity, while supporting and
promoting the Five Core Values of the Leadership Safari program.
Core Staff members are supervised by the two Leadership Safari graduate assistants and accountable to the Assistant and Associate Directors of Programming for the Sarah R. Opperman Leadership Institute or their designee.
Minimum Qualifications and Additional Requirements
- Full time, upper-class, undergraduate student at Central Michigan University (CMU).
- Served for at least two years as a staff member of Leadership Safari with at least one year being served within the respective area of application (e.g. Guide, CTeam, Runner).
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher at the time of application and should be maintained during the period of appointment.
- Must be not be on disciplinary probation within the same year application is submitted.
- Have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must provide excellent customer service while maintaining confidentiality and respect.
- Must be self-motivated and demonstrate the ability to follow through with each task to completion.
- Attendance at core staff retreat two/three days prior to the start of fall staff training (usually the Saturday prior to training), and all of fall training prior to the start of Leadership Safari.
- Attendance and participation in monthly professional development meetings for Leadership Institute student staff members (schedule to be provided).
- Be mentally and physically present at all fall and spring events.
- Assist with the staff selection process including reviewing applications, conducting interviews, evaluating training performance, and attending additional staff selection meetings.
- Commit to a monthly, one-on-one office hour in the Leadership Programs Office, Bovee University Center Room 201.
- Assist in the evaluation and growth of the conference by providing effective and constructive feedback regarding conference activities, and participating in outreach programs (e.g. Safari Ambassador).
- Assist in the management of participants and staff during the Leadership Safari conference including having the ability to troubleshoot and resolve minor situations.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with the Associate Director, Graduate Assistants, Staff Assistants and fellow Core Staff.
- Serve as an ambassador for the Sarah R. Opperman Leadership Institute.
- Adhere to the Sarah R. Opperman Leadership Institute Student Employee guidelines and procedures, as well as the CMU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Disciplinary Procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
As the result of performing the duties of this position, each student will be able to:
- Explore new insights about leadership through creative problem solving, risk taking, understanding, and application (Leadership Knowledge and Application).
- Develop a purposeful, holistic understanding of self (Identity Development).
- Build collaborative relationships and support networks, while demonstrating respect for diverse viewpoints, backgrounds, and beliefs (Healthy Relationships).
- Develop an understanding of systems of power, privilege, oppression, and how the role of student leadership can aid in the development of inclusive and equitable communities (Social Responsibility).
Each member of the Leadership Safari Core Staff will receive $250.00 remuneration package in recognition of their commitment to this program at the beginning of the spring semester of appointment.
- Interested applicants should submit their application through the application portal.
- Applications are due by 12:00pm NOON on Friday, September 29, 2017. There are no exceptions for late applications.
- Interview notifications will take place on October 2, 2017 via phone call.
- Interviews will take place October 4-6, 2017 in the Lake St. Claire Room of the Bovee University Center.
- Final appointment offers will be extended on October 9, 2017 via phone call.