Length of Appointment: March through August
General Statement of Duties
A Returning Guide is a second or third-year staff member looking to further their leadership development. This position plays a crucial role in the mentoring of New Staff Members. Returning Guides have experience with the program allowing them to better assist New Guides throughout the conference. This position is centered around the support and development of incoming students. This is a volunteer position from late November to August. All duties performed will focus on promoting the Five Core Values of Leadership Safari as well as the leadership learning goals provided by Central Michigan University.
Members of the Leadership Safari Guide Staff are directly supervised by a Core Staff member and are accountable to the two Leadership Safari staff assistants, two Leadership Safari graduate assistants, and the Assistant and Associate Directors of Programming for the Leadership Institute or their designee.
Minimum Qualifications and Additional Requirements
- Full time, undergraduate student at Central Michigan University (CMU).
- Served at least one year as a staff member of Leadership Safari as a Guide.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.30 or higher at the time of application and should be maintained during the period of employment.
- Have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must provide excellent customer service while maintaining confidentiality and respect.
- Must attend fall staff training.
- Be mentally and physically present at all fall and spring events.
- Serve as a knowledgeable mentor for fellow Returning and New Staff Members by confidently utilizing facilitation and debriefing skills.
- Work to mentor a group of 10 – 13 incoming students by working to:
- Develop individual leadership skills.
- Adjust to and learn about CMU campus environment.
- Learn ways to get involved at CMU.
- Carry out all assigned Leadership Safari activities and meetings.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with the Graduate Assistants, Staff Assistants, Core Staff and fellow Guides.
- Other duties as assigned.
As the result of performing the duties of this position, each student will be able to:
- Explore new insights about leadership through creative problem solving, risk taking, understanding, and application (Leadership Knowledge and Application).
- Develop a purposeful, holistic understanding of self (Identity Development).
- Build collaborative relationships and support networks, while demonstrating respect for diverse viewpoints, backgrounds, and beliefs (Healthy Relationships).
- Develop an understanding of systems of power, privilege, oppression, and how the role of student leadership can aid in the development of inclusive and equitable communities (Social Responsibility).
- Interested applicants should submit their application through the application portal.
- Applications are due by 12:00pm NOON on Wednesday, November 22, 2017. There are no exceptions for late applications.
- Interview notifications will take place on December 4, 2017 via email.
- Interviews will take place Monday-Friday, January 15-19, 2018 in the Lake St. Claire, Lake Erie and Lake Huron Rooms of the Bovee University Center (third floor).
- If selected to move on to training, all training dates are mandatory and considered part of the selection process.
- Final staff notifications will happen via email by 5PM on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018.