Each residence hall room contains:
- Individual desks and desk chairs (one per resident)
- Single beds (one per resident)
- Mattress pad (one per resident)
- Extra-long single mattress (36"x80”) (one per resident)
- Ethernet computer hook-up (one per resident)
- Cable hook-up (one per room)
- Telephone (one per room)
- Shower curtain (one per room)
- Dresser(s) (two per room)
- Curtains on windows
Essentials to pack:
- Ethernet cord
- USB drive
- Cell phone & charger
- Bedding (bedspread/comforter, blankets, extra-long twin sheets, pillow, mattress pad)
- Power strips, surge protector & extension cord
- Alarm clock
- Towels & washcloths
- Raincoat & umbrella
- Health & beauty products (shampoo, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor/shaving cream, etc.)
- Microwaveable/reusable dishes including cups, bowls, silverware
- Renters insurance
- School supplies
- Dishwashing soap
- Laundry detergent for high efficiency washers
- Health insurance card
Other items to consider packing:
- A list which includes the make, model and serial number for any personal item you are bringing with a value over $100
- Social Security card (if you plan on getting a job on-campus)
- Bike & bike lock (optional, but do register your bike with CMUPD if you bring one)
Items to leave at home:
- Candles, candle warmers, lanterns, incense or other open flame devices
- Firearms and weapons (including toy guns)
- Electric heaters
- Kerosene heaters
- Microwaves (except in Campbell, Celani, Fabiano, Kesseler, Kulhavi, Northwest apartments, Graduate Housing and Kewadin Village.
- Stolen Property (street signs, barricades, university signage etc)
- Live Christmas Trees
- Halogen lamps
- Lava lamps
- Mercury thermometers
Unless you know all your roommates and what they will be bringing to campus, we suggest you pack conservatively when you first move into your hall. Many students go home over Labor Day weekend and bring back needed items.
Lofts are permitted but must conform to certain specifications. The specifications are includedunder the 'Lofts' section of this website. Lofts not conforming to specifications must be removed. The university has no provision for storing lofts over the summer, so they must be removed at the end of the year. Lofts are not allowed in Campbell, Carey, Celani, Cobb, Fabiano, Kesseler, Kulhavi, Robinson, Troutman, or Wheeler halls.
The University has an agreement with www.bedloft.com. Bedloft.com rents approved lofts to interested residents. The Residence Hall Assembly student leadership group receives a portion of all profits which helps support programs and activities for all residence hall students; however, Central Michigan University is not responsible or liable for the services and/or actions of Bedloft.com.
Microwaves & Refrigerators
Bedloft.com also rents approved microwave/refrigerator combination appliances to interested students. A MicroFridge is a combination refrigerator, freezer and microwave, and is the only microwave approved for use in all CMU residence halls. MicroFridges can be pre-ordered, and delivered directly to your room. The Residence Hall Assembly student leadership group receives a portion of all profits which helps support programs and activities for all residence hall students. Note: Central Michigan University is not responsible or liable for the services and/or actions of bedloft.com or the Residence Hall Linens organization.
Sheets & Linens
The Residence Hall Linens (RHL) program offers extra-long twin sheets, comforters, matching towels and storage items. Proceeds from this program go to the CMU Residence Hall Assembly for programming in the residence halls. For more information please visit the RHL website: www.rhl.org/cmi.